Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Author Index: Bu||John Buchan
|Scottish novelist, historian and Unionist politician who served as Governor General of Canada. His works include novels, short story collections, and biographies of Sir Walter Scott, Caesar Augustus, and Oliver Cromwell. He was awarded the James Tait Black Memorial Prize for his biography of the Marquess of Montrose, but is best remembered for his spy thrillers.|
Richard Hannay series
- The Thirty-Nine Steps (1915)
- Greenmantle (1916) (external scan)
- Mr Standfast (1919) (external scan)
- The Three Hostages (1924) aka The Man from the Norlands in USA
- The Courts of the Morning (1929)
- The Island of Sheep (1936)
Dickson McCunn and the 'Gorbals Die-hards'
Sir Edward Leithen
- The Power-House (1916) (external scan)
- John Macnab (1925)
- The Dancing Floor (1926)
- Sir Quixote of the Moors (1895) (frontispiece by )
- Grey Weather (1899)
- John Burnet of Barns: a romance (1898) (external scan)
- A Lost Lady of Old Years: a romance (1899) (external scan)
- The Half-hearted (1900) (external scan)
- A Lodge in the Wilderness (1906)
- Prester John (1910) (external scan)
- The Marquise of Montrose (1913) (external scan)
- Salute to Adventurers (1915) (external scan)
- The Path of the King (1921) (external scan)
- Midwinter (1923)
- The Magic Walking-Stick (1927)
- Witch Wood (1927)
Short stories and poems
- The Piligrim Fathers (1898) poetry (external scan)
- The Moon Endureth ?
- The Watcher by the Threshold (1902) (external scan)
- Twelve Short Stories ??
- The Far Islands ??
- Scholar Gispies (1896)
- Sir Walter Raleigh (1897) (external scan)
- Brasenose College (1898) (external scan)
- The African Colony (1903)
- The Battle of Jutland (1916)
- Francis and Riversdale Grenfell, a memoir (1920) (external scan)
- Nelson's History of the War (1915-1919) Later published as A History of the War (1915-1919)
- The Long road to Victory (1920) (external scan)
- Sir Walter Scott ??
- A Book of Escapes And Hurried Journeys ??
- The King's Grace (Biography) ??
- "The Law and the Constitution," in The Empire and the century (pp. 37−51), London: John Murray (1905)
- Editor: A History of English Literature (1923) (external scan)
- Lord Minto, A Memoir (1924)
- Musa Piscatrix (Ed. ) (1896)
Works about Buchan
- "Buchan, John," in A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature, by John William Cousin, London: J. M. Dent & Sons (1910)