|←Author Index: Ja||Joseph Jacobs
Litt.D. Professor of English Literature in the New York Jewish Theological Seminary of America. President of the Jewish Historical Society of England. Corresponding Member of the Royal Academy of History, Madrid. Author of Jews of Angevin England; Studies in Biblical Archaeology; &c
Born in Sydney, Australia and later emigrated to England and the United States. |
This author wrote articles for the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica.
Articles attributed to this author are designated in EB1911 by the initials "J. Ja."
- The fables of Aesop, as first printed by William Caxton in 1484, with those of Avian, Alfonso and Poggio, 1889 (Scan indexes: Vol 1, Vol 2)
- English Fairy Tales, illustrated by John Batten, 1890.
- Indian Fairy Tales, illustrated by John Batten, 1890.
- Celtic Fairy Tales, illustrated by John Batten, 1892.
- The Jews of Angevin England, 1893.
- More Celtic Fairy Tales, 1894.
- More English Fairy Tales, 1894.
- The Fables of Æsop, illustrated by Richard Heighway, Schocken Books, 1894. (page scan index)
- As others saw Him: a retrospect, A.D. 54, New York: Houghton. 1900. 2nd ed.
- Man and Evolution; The Advance in Scientific Knowledge Since Darwin's Day - Prof. Ernst Haeckel's Recent Books, 1905.
- Europa's Fairy Book
- The story of Geographical Discovery (1916)
- The Book of Wonder Voyages, illustrated by John Batten, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1919.
- Barlaam and Josaphat. English lives of Buddha (page scan index)
- The Palace of Pleasure (3 volumes)
- “The Science of Folk-Tales and the Problem of Diffusion” Transactions of the Second International Folk-Congress, 1892.
to Folk-Lore: (editor 1890–1893)
- “Editorial”, in Folk-Lore, Volume 1, (1890), pp. 1–3.
- “Recent Research in Comparative Religion” in volume 1, (1890), pp. 384–397.
- “Review: Les Contes Moralisés de Nicole Bozon”, in Volume 1, (1890), pp. 270–271.
- “A Tale of Campbell and its Foundation in Usage”, in Volume 1, (1890), pp. 405–406
- “Childe Rowland” in volume 2, (1891), pp. 182–196.
- “The Folk” in volume 4, (1893), pp. 233–238.
- “Cinderella in Britain” in Volume 4, (1893) pp. 269–285.
- “Jew, The Wandering”, in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911
- “Nethinim”, in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911
- “Passover”, in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911
- “Purim”, in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911
- “Tabernacles, Feast of”, in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911
- Hartland, E. Sidney, (1891), “The Science of Fairy Tales: an Inquiry into Fairy Mythology” — Folk-Lore, volume 2, pp. 123–127.
Articles in Popular Science Monthly