Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Author Index: Bi||Samuel Birch
|English Egyptologist and antiquary|
- Analecta Sinensia, 1841.
- Select Papyri in the Hieratic Character, 3 pts. fol. 1841-4.
- Tablets from the Collection of the Earl of Belmore, 1843.
- Friends till Death (from Chinese), 1845.
- Gold Fibula, found at Odiham, Hampshire in the Archaeological Journal volume 2. (1846)
- An Introduction to the Study of the Egyptian Hieroglyphics, 1857.
- History of Ancient Pottery, 2 vols. 1858. John Murray, London.
- Memoire sur une Patere, 1858.
- Select Papyri, pt, ii. 18 (50.
- A Description of the Collection of Ancient Marbles in the British Museum Part 11 (1861)
- ChineseWidow (from Chinese), 1862.
- Elfin Foxes (from Chinese), 1863.
- Papyrus of Nas-Khem, 1863.
- Facsimiles of Egyptian Relics, 1863.
- Facsimiles of two Papyri, 1863.
- Inscriptions in the Himyaritic Character, 1863.
- Egypt's Place in Universal History, 1867. (Vol. 5 - contributed the first extensive English translation of the Book of the Dead)
- The Casket of Gems (from Chinese), 1872.
- History of Egypt, 1875.
- Facsimile of Papyrus of Rameses III, fol. 1876.
- The Monumental History of Egypt, 1876.
- Egyptian Texts, 1877.
- Catalogue of Egyptian Antiquities at Alnwick Castle, 1880.
- The Coffin of Amamu (unfinished).
Works about Birch
- “Birch, Samuel (1813-1885),” in Dictionary of National Biography Supplement, London: Smith, Elder, & Co., (1901) in 3 vols.
- “Birch, Samuel,” in Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed., 1911)