Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Author Index: Ha||Stephen Hales
|English botanist, physiologist, chemist, and inventor|
- Vegetable Staticks (1727) vol 1, vol 2
- Philosophical experiments: containing useful, and necessary instructions for such as undertake long voyages at sea. Shewing how sea-water may be made fresh and wholsome: and how fresh water may be preserv'd sweet. How biscuit, corn, &c. may be secured from the weevel, meggots, and other insects. And flesh preserv'd in hot climates, by salting animals whole. To which is added, an account of several experiments and observations on chalybeate or steel-waters, 1739 external source
- A description of ventilators, 1743 external source
Works about Hales
- Darwin, Francis (1913), "Stephen Hales 1677—1761" in Oliver, Francis Wall (ed.) Makers of British botany.
- "Hales, Stephen," in Dictionary of National Biography, London: Smith, Elder, & Co., (1885–1900) in 63 vols.
- "Hales, Stephen," in Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed., 1911)