Blue Ridge Parkway and Town of Blowing Rock Land Exchange Act of 2009
Jump to navigation Jump to search
111TH UNITED STATES CONGRESS
To authorize a land exchange to acquire lands for the Blue Ridge Parkway from the Town of Blowing Rock, North Carolina, and for other purposes.
- Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
Section 1. Short Title.
- This Act may be cited as the ‘‘Blue Ridge Parkway and Town of Blowing Rock Land Exchange Act of 2009’’.
Sec. 2. Definitions.
- In this Act:
- (1) Secretary.—The term ‘‘Secretary’’ means the Secretary of the Interior.
- (2) Town.—The term ‘‘Town’’ means the Town of Blowing Rock in the State of North Carolina.
- (3) Map.—The term ‘‘map’’ means the National Park Service map titled ‘‘Blue Ridge Parkway, Proposed Land Exchange with Town of Blowing Rock’’, numbered ‘‘601/90,000A’’, and dated ‘‘April, 2008’’.
- (4) Exchange.—The term ‘‘exchange’’ means the exchange of land authorized by section 3(a).
Sec. 3. Land Exchange.
- (a) In General.—Subject to subsection (d), the Secretary may exchange approximately 20 acres of land within the boundary of the Blue Ridge Parkway that are generally depicted on the map as ‘‘Blowing Rock Reservoir’’, for approximately 192 acres of land owned by the Town that are generally depicted on the map as ‘‘Town of Blowing Rock Exchange Lands’’.
- (b) Map Availability.—The map shall be on file and available for public inspection in the appropriate offices of the National Park Service.
- (c) Timing.—The Secretary shall seek to complete the land exchange not later than three years after the date of the enactment of this Act.
- (d) Applicable Laws; Terms and Conditions.—The exchange shall be subject to—
- (1) laws, regulations, and policies applicable to exchanges of land administered by the National Park Service, including those concerning land appraisals, equalization of values, and environmental compliance; and
- (2) such terms and conditions as the Secretary considers appropriate.
- (e) Equalization of Values.—If the lands proposed for exchange are found to be not equal in value, the equalization of values may be achieved by adjusting the acreage amounts identified in subsection (a).
- (f) Boundary Adjustment.—Upon completion of the exchange, the Secretary shall adjust the boundary of the Blue Ridge Parkway to reflect the exchanged lands.
- (g) Administration.—Lands acquired by the Secretary through the exchange shall be administered as part of the Blue Ridge Parkway in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- (h) Future Disposition of Property.—If the Town desires to dispose of the reservoir property that is the subject of the exchange, the Secretary shall have the right of first refusal to acquire the property for the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Approved May 24, 2010