Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Altamura and Acquaviva
An exempt archipresbyterate in the province of Bari, in southern Italy. Altamura was declared exempt from episcopal jurisdiction by Innocent IV in 1248, and again by Innocent VIII (1484-92). Acquaviva, a town of the Campagna, was declared similarly exempt by Pius IX and united with Altamura, 17 August 1848. Altamura has 4 parishes and a Catholic population of 19,333; Acquaviva has one parish and a Catholic population of 8,527; the clergy number 80.
BATTANDIER, Ann. Pont. (1905), 338.