Executive Order 11476
By virtue of the authority vested in me by the Uniform Code of Military Justice (Title 10, United States Code, Ch. 47), and as President of the United States, I hereby prescribe the following Manual for Courts-Martial, to be designated as ‘‘Manual for Courts-Martial, United States, 1969 (Revised edition).’’
This Manual shall be in force and effect in the armed forces of the United States on and after August 1, 1969, with respect to all court-martial processes taken on and after that date:
- Provided, That nothing contained in this Manual shall be construed to invalidate any investigation, trial in which arraignment has been had, or other action begun prior to August 1, 1969; and any such investigation, trial, or other action begun prior to that date, may be completed in accordance with the applicable laws, Executive orders, and regulations pertaining to the various armed forces in the same manner and with the same effect as if this Manual had not been prescribed:
- Provided further, That nothing contained in this Manual shall be construed to make punishable any act done or omitted prior to the effective date of this Manual which was not punishable when done or omitted:
- Provided further, That the maximum punishment for an offense committed prior to August 1, 1969, shall not exceed the applicable limit in effect at the time of the commission of such offense:
- And provided further, That for cases arising under section 12 of the Act of May 5, 1950, 64 Stat. 147 (50 U.S.C. 740), the provisions of paragraph 110, Manual for Courts-Martial, United States, 1951, shall remain in effect.
This work is incomplete. If you'd like to help expand it, see the help pages and the style guide, or leave a comment on this work's talk page.
(sources: PDF of the Manual for Courts-Martial, United States, 1969 (Revised Edition), via Library of Congress)
- EDITOR's NOTE:
• The 600+ pages that accompanies EO 11476 and makes up most of the MCM of 1969 (Revised Edition) can be found HERE, (PDF)
• The Act of May 5, 1950 (64 Stat. 107), better known as the Uniform Code of Military Justice (circa. 1951), can be found HERE
Manual for Courts-Martial, United States, 1969 (Revised Edition)