Executive Order 12839
By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including section 301 of title 3, United States Code, section 3301 of title 5, United States Code, and section 1111 of title 31, United States Code, it is hereby ordered as follows:
Section 1. Limits on Hiring Civilian Personnel.
- Each executive department or agency with over 100 employees shall eliminate not less than 4 percent of its civilian personnel positions (measured on a full-time equivalent (FTE) basis) over the next 3 fiscal years. The positions shall be vacated through attrition or early out programs established at the discretion of the department and agency heads. At least 10 percent of the reductions shall come from the Senior Executive Service, GS-15 and GS-14 levels or equivalent.
Sec. 2. Coverage.
- This order applies to all executive branch departments and agencies with over 100 employees (measured on a FTE basis).
Sec. 3. Target Dates.
- Each department and agency shall achieve 25 percent of its total reductions by the end of fiscal year 1993, 62.5 percent by the end of fiscal year 1994, and 100 percent by the end of fiscal year 1995.
Sec. 4. Implementation.
- The Director of the Office of Management and Budget shall issue detailed instructions regarding the implementation of this order, including exemptions necessary for the delivery of essential services and compliance with applicable law.
Sec. 5. Independent Agencies.
- All independent regulatory commissions and agencies are requested to comply with the provisions of this order.
Billing code 3195-01-P
- See Related:
- Pub.L. 103-88 (107 Stat. 978)