Executive Order 13244
Executive Order 13244 of December 18, 2001
Providing an Order of Succession Within the Department of the Interior
By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including Subchapter III of Chapter 33 of title 5 of the United States Code, it is hereby ordered that:
- Subject to the provisions of section 3 of this Executive Order, the officers named in section 2, in the order listed, shall act as and perform the functions and duties of the office of Secretary of the Interior (Secretary) during any period when both the Secretary and the Deputy Secretary of the Interior (Deputy Secretary) have died, resigned, or are otherwise unable to perform the functions and duties of the office of Secretary.
Sec. 2.Order of Succession.
|(a)||Solicitor of the Department of the Interior;|
|(b)||Assistant Secretary of the Interior in charge of Policy, Management and Budget;|
|(c)||Assistant Secretary of the Interior in charge of Land and Minerals Management;|
|(d)||Assistant Secretary of the Interior in charge of Water and Science;|
|(e)||Assistant Secretary of the Interior for Fish and Wildlife and Parks; and|
|(f)||Assistant Secretary of the Interior for Indian Affairs.|
|(a)||No individual who is serving in an office listed in section 2(a)-(f) in an acting capacity shall act as Secretary pursuant to this Executive Order.|
|(b)||Notwithstanding the provisions of this Executive Order, the President retains discretion, to the extent permitted by Subchapter III of Chapter 33 of title 5 of the United States Code, to depart from this Executive Order in designating an acting Secretary.|
- Executive Order 11487 of October 6, 1969, is hereby revoked.
Billing Code 3195–01–P
Note: This Executive order was released by the Office of the Press Secretary on December 28, 2001.
- Amended by:
- Executive Order 13261, March 19, 2002
- Executive Order 11487, October 6, 1969
- See Related:
- Executive Order 10753, February 15, 1958;
- Executive Order 10156, August 26, 1950;
- Executive Order 9866, June 14, 1947;
- Executive Order 9432, March 28, 1944