Executive Order 13246
Executive Order 13246 of December 18, 2001
Providing an Order of Succession Within the Department of the Treasury
By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including Subchapter III of Chapter 33 of title 5 of the United States Code, it is hereby ordered that:
- Subject to the provisions of section 3 of this Executive Order, the officers named in section 2, in the order listed, shall act as and perform the functions and duties of the office of Secretary of the Treasury (Secretary) during any period when both the Secretary and the Deputy Secretary of the Treasury (Deputy Secretary) have died, resigned, or are otherwise unable to perform the functions and duties of the office of Secretary.
Sec. 2.Order of Succession.
|(a)||Under Secretaries of the Treasury (including the Under Secretary of the Treasury for Enforcement), in the order in which they shall have taken the oath of office as such officers;|
|(b)||General Counsel of the Department of the Treasury; and|
|(c)||Deputy Under Secretaries of the Treasury and those Assistant Secretaries of the Treasury appointed by the President by and with the consent of the Senate, in the order in which they shall have taken the oath of office as such officers.|
|(a)||No individual who is serving in an office listed in section 2(a)-(c) in an acting capacity shall act as Secretary pursuant to this Executive Order.|
|(b)||Notwithstanding the provisions of this Executive Order, the President retains discretion, to the extent permitted by Subchapter III of Chapter 33 of title 5 of the United States Code, to depart from this Executive Order in designating an acting Secretary.|
- Executive Order 11822 of December 10, 1974, is hereby revoked.
Billing Code 3195–01–P
Note: This Executive order was released by the Office of the Press Secretary on December 28, 2001.
- Amended by:
- Executive Order 13261, March 19, 2002
- Executive Order 11822, December 10, 1974
- See Related:
- Executive Order 11680, August 21, 1972;
- Executive Order 10941, May 15, 1961;
- Executive Order 10586, January 13, 1955;
- Executive Order 8714, March 18, 1941