|← Help:Contents||Reading offline|
|Options for exporting a book in order to read it offline. See also Wikisource:eBook.|
Whilst reading a complete book on Wikisource is possible, a lot of people like to be able to download a book in order to read it on an ebook reader, such as Kindle or IPad or even a Smartphone. The download methods on Wikisource are limited at present, but they may be improved in the future.
Single part books can be downloaded in several formats and it is also possible to "Create a book" for any collection of pages in Wikisource. This can be ideal for creating your own poetry collection, for instance, but is rather tedious for a book with many chapters as it must be done repeatedly. Books can be saved for other users. Some are saved at Books. Also, there is no content indexing within the document. However, you can also choose to have the book printed professionally.
Downloading a multi-part book (EPUB/MOBI)
- Navigate to the page you want to download. For a multi-part work, this should be the top-level page of the work.
- Select "Download as EPUB" from the navigation menu. In the mobile interface, there is an EPUB icon () at the top right of the page.
- Copy the downloaded file to your ebook reader
Note: To read the file you must have an appropriate reader. These are available free for most platforms including computers, tablets and smartphones, except for the Kindle. In the case of Kindle you should download the MOBI format. "Download as MOBI" is under "Download as EPUB" in the navigation menu. You can also convert EPUB to MOBI with programs such as Calibre.
Note: EPUB export uses a tool called the WS-export gadget, which is enabled by default. It can be turned on and off in your gadget preferences: scroll down to Interface then and select the option
Add a print/export link to download pages as EPUB files using the WSexport tool.
Downloading a single-part item
- Navigate to the page you want to download
- To save the file as a PDF, select "Download as PDF" from the navigation menu (the left column)
- Otherwise, select "Printable version", which eliminates menus
- To save as html, choose the "Save as" option in your browser
- To save as simple text, take the "Save as" option in your browser and select "Text only" or equivalent
- To print the page on your own printer, select "Print" in your browser
Downloading a multi-part book (PDF, ODT, ZIM)
- Click on "Create a book" in the navigation menu
- Click on "Start book creator" button. This will generate a section at the top of each page (until you disable it) headed "Book creator"
- Navigate to the first page you want in your book
- Click on "Add this page to your book"
- Navigate to the next page and repeat these two steps repeatedly for every page in your book
- Click on "Show book"
- Add a title and subtitle (e.g. author) for the book
- Choose the format you want and click the "Download" button. After processing, the file will be downloaded to your computer
- Click on "Disable Book Creator"
Note: If you are adding a multi-part book, then click on "Suggest pages" after step 3 and click every page.
At the penultimate step you may also choose to have the book printed by a print-on-demand printer. All financial transactions are done directly with Pediapress.