Historical account of Lisbon college/Appendix 3/A-B
ABRAM, James Benedict, born Apr. 7, 1861, son of Thomas Abram, of Ormskirk, co. Lancaster, and his wife Maria Leonard, admitted Sept. 6, 1883, alumnus Feb. 18, 1888, ord. priest Feb. 15, and left Apr. 7, 1891; at St. Werburgh's, Chester, 1891-97; St. Laurence s, Birkenhead, 1897-8; Edgeley, 1898 to date.
ADAMS, Rowland, probably of the family seated at Marston-Montgomery, co. Derby; alumnus Nov. 9, 1692; ord. subdeacon and deacon in May, 1693; sent English mission, Dec. 22, 1702.
AINSWORTH, Joseph, admitted June 23, 1732, on Revell's Fund, became an alumnus Sept. 15, 1737; died in the College Jan. 11, 1738.
AKERS, James, born Aug. 22, 1763, son of Thomas Akers and his wife Catherine Lee, of Winton, co. Middlesex; bapt. by Rev. P. T. Savage; went Sedgley Park School; admitted Feb. 16, 1782; ord. priest Dec. 20, 1788; left for English mission, Aug. 1791.
ALLAN, John, vide Woolfe.
ALLANSON, John, alias Reynolds, born 1642, son of John Allanson and Mary Reynolds his wife, of Yorkshire, admitted March 12, 1659; alumnus Sept. 5, 1663.
ALLEN, Jerome, son of Antonio Gomez and Mary Allen his wife, of London, born Nov. 23, 1730; bapt. by Rev. Jno. Hardcastle and confirmed by Bp. Challoner; admitted May 16, 1744, on the Thatcher Fund; appointed professor of philosophy July 7, 1755; ord. priest June 12, 1756; became professor of theology May 14, 1774; at Douay College, Nov. 3, 1776, till Apr. 23, 1777; returned to Lisbon and continued in the chair of theology till Aug. 7, 1780. Died in the College in 1814.
ap DAVID, Robert, vide Edwards.
ARKWRIGHT, James, born Sept. 10, 1868, son of William Arkwright and his wife Elizabeth Spencer, of Ormskirk, Lancashire; admitted Sept. 11, 1889; ord. priest Dec. 22, 1894; left Apr. 25, 1895; at St. Laurence's, Birkenhead, 1895-8; Edgeley, 1898-1902; Middlewich.
ARNOLD, Henry, born May 6, 1742,5011 of John Arnold and Winefred his wife, of Everton, co. Lancaster; bapt. by Fr. Win. Clifton, S.J., and confirmed May, 1755, by Bp. Petre; admitted Aug. 23, 1757, on the Triple Trust; alumnus Sept. 15, 1762; died in the College, Jan. 17, 1766.
ARROWSMITH, Roger, born at Inglewhite, Lancashire, Dec. 30, 1823; went Stonyhurst College, 1836-41; admitted June 27, 1843; ord. priest Dec. 21, 1850; left July 13, 1851; at Lytham, 1851-2; St. Nicholas, Liverpool, 1852; St. Patrick's Liverpool, 1852-8; Hermeston Grange, Oldcotes, co. Notts, 1858-9; Lytham, 1859-79; Poulton-le-Fylde, 1879-85; died at Lytham, Feb. 27, 1886, aged 62.
ARUNDEL, Richard, vere Charnock, born at Hulcott, co. Beds., eld. son of John Charnock or Chernocke, of Hulcott, Esq., (descended from the Charnocks of Charnock Richard, co. Lancaster), by Eliz. his wife, daughter of Sir John Arundel, of Lanherne, co. Cornwall, Knt.; after completing humanities at Douay College, made a pilgrimage to Rome early in pontificate of Urban VIII, thence returned Douay, finished his course of philosophy and visited England in 1625; returned a second time to Douay in 1627, for the purpose of accompanying Anthony Morgan in a continental tour, but both abandoned their intention, and instead decided to join the new foundation at Lisbon, and dedicate their lives to the mission. Admitted Nov. 22, 1628, died a scholastic in the College, a month and a half after his friend Morgan, Sept. 26, 1631. His only brother, Sir Robt. Chernocke, succeeded to the estate, and by Agnes his wife, dau. of Oliver, Lord St. John of Bletsho, and sister of the first earl of Bolingbroke, was father of Sir Robert Chernocke, created bart. by Charles II. in 1661, whose wife Audrey Villiers, was niece to the first duke of Buckingham.
ASHMALL, Ferdinand, born Jan. 9, 1695, son of Thomas Ashmall, Esq., of Amerston, co. Durham. The family name was originally Asmall, and was seated at Asmall, near Ormskirk, co. Lancaster. Ferdinand s grandfather was the first to settle at Amerston, his wife being Dorothy, dau. of Ferdinand Huddleston, of Millom Castle, co. Cumberland, Esq. Admitted Aug. 9, 1711; alumnus May 23, 1715; ord. priest, and left for English mission Apr. 25, 1723. For about four years was chaplain to Miss Mary Salvin, in Old Elvet, Durham, but in consequence of ill health retired to his father s house at Amerston, and attended to wants of Catholics in that district. There remained till 1744, when succeeded Mr. John Debord alias Davison (who removed to Salwick Hall, Lancashire) to the mission at Newhouse, Esh, near Durham, where spent remainder of days, and died Feb. 5, 1698, aged 104. He was buried within the communion rails of Esh chapel. One or two other members of his family lived to be almost centenarians. Two of his uncles were priests, Ferdinand and John, both educated and ordained at the English College, at Rome. Ferdinand, born 1651, was chaplain to the Earl of Derwentwater, at Dilston, for many years, but died Apr. 12, 1712, at Old Elvet, Durham, where he contributed largely to the erection of the priest s house, and left the residue of his property to the fund for the maintenance of the incumbent. John, born 1653, lived several years as chaplain in the Salvin family, and died in Durham about 1706.
ASHTON, Charles, born March 8, 1769, son of Thomas Ashton, of Dutton Lodge, co. Chester, Esq., (of the ancient family of Ashton of Croston, co. Lancaster), by Anne Massey, his wife; confirmed by Bp. Matt. Gibson; went Sedgley Park School, 1785; admitted Oct. 10, 1792; ord. priest; died in the College, July 22, 1797.
ASTON, Nicholas, born Staffordshire, probably younger son of Sir Walter Aston, of Tixall, arrived at the English College, Rheims, Oct. 9, 1589, and assumed the alias of Anthony Walwyn, probably after some relative; received tonsure, Aug. 18, 1590; left for English Seminary at Valladolid, Sept. 29, and arr. Dec. 15, 1590; ord. priest; joined the College at Seville, upon its establishment, in 1592; came to Lisbon in Apr. 1597, where became rector of the English residence, projected foundation of College, purchased a house for the purpose, and dying, bequeathed it to Ralph Sleighford, alias William Newman, q.v.
ASTON, William, fourth son of Walter, second Baron Aston of Forfar, by Mary, second daughter of Richard, Lord Veston, high treasurer of England; born at Tixall, co. Stafford; admit. Jan. 3, 1667; ob. s.p., possibly a priest.
ATHERTON, Richard, admitted March 14, 1876; alumnus Dec. 20, 1883; ord. priest, Jan. 29, 1887; appointed a superior, and now procurator.
AYLIFFE, Anthony, vide Loveden.
AYLEWORTH, Matthew, son of John Ayleworth, of Liangoven, co. Monmouth, Esq., admitted Sept. 4, 1636; ord. priest June 13, 1641; left for English mission Apr. 12, 1642.
BAINES, Peter, born at Carside, near Liverpool, nephew to Bishop Peter Augustine Baines, O.S.B., V.A.-W.D.; admitted Aug. 13, 1824; ord. priest; vice-president, D.D., and president; died in the College, Aug. 6, 1882.
BAINES, William, born at Chorley, Lancashire, 1820; admitted May 30, 1834; ord. priest; left July 10, 1845; at Warwick-street, London, 1846; afterwards served St. Aloysius, Somers Tovn, for seven years, when removed to Witham, Essex, where he remained for thirty-six years, till obliged to retire from the mission owing to ill health; died at Barnet, Jan. 29, 1891, aged 70, and buried at Witham.
BALDWIN, John, vide Langton.
BAMBER, John, born at Salford, Oct. 20, 1819, son of Thomas Bamber of Preston, subsequently of Salford and Manchester; admitted Nov. 18, 1832; alumnus Nov. .16, 1839; ord. priest; left Oct. 1843; at Sunderland, Durham, 1843-77; Canon of Hexham 1856 to date; returned to Lisbon, 1877-87; retired to Windermere, 1887-90; Brentwood, 18903; Windermere, 1893 to date.
BANKES, Peter, vide Metcalfe.
BARGE, Thomas John, went to Old Hall, July 1831-9; admitted March 11, 1839; alumnus Dec. 13, 1844; ord. priest; left July 6, 1847; at St. Patrick s, Soho, 1847, till death, Oct. 13, 1885.
BARKER, Edward, ord. priest here, and died in London in 1684. Probably identical with Edward Barker, alias Vernalty who was at Douay College, on the apostolic pension, 1642-5; took the College oath, June 19, 1642, and that of the profession of faith, May 20, 1644. He was made archdeacon of the Chapter in 1649.
BARKER, Thomas, vide Kelly.
BARLOW, Edward, vide Booth.
BARNARD, James, born London, March 26, 1733, son of James Barnard and his wife Margaret Brown, protestants, was educated at the Bluecoat School, after which was employed for some time in a mercantile house in Seville, where became a Catholic, and was received into the English College in that city. He was conditionally baptized by Fr. Hieronymo de Hercc, March 23, 1756, and was confirmed by D. Dominico Perez de Rivera, Episcopo Gadarensi, March 23, 1757. There he was ord. priest, July 24, 1757; on July 19, 1758, he was admitted into the English College at Lisbon, where he studied theology, twice defending public theses, till July 17, 1761, when he was sent to the English mission. For some time he was chaplain at Cowdray, Sussex, where his first baptism is dated 12th Jan., 1762. How long he stayed there is not known, perhaps till the young protestant Viscount Montague came into possession in 1767. His missionary labours then seem to have been transferred to London, or vicinity, until his presentation by bishops Challoner and James Talbot to the presidency of the College at Lisbon, Aug. 5, 1776. He was formally installed Jan. 21, 1777, and so continued till his resignation in 1782. Returning to London, he succeeded the Rev. Joseph Bolton in the spiritual charge of the convent school at Brook Green, and also as Vicar General to Bishop Talbot, V.A.-L.D., in which office he died at his residence, 4, Castle-street, Holborn, Sept. 12, 1803, aged 70. Mr. Barnard was a member of the Old English Chapter. He published the following works: (i) " Life of … Richard Challoner," Lond., 1784; Dublin, 1793. (2) " Life of Ven. B.Joseph Labre," Lond., Coghlan, 1785, 12°, a translation. (3) "A Catechism," Lond., 1786, 12°, pp. 84. (4) "The Apostolical Missions," Lond., 1786. (5) "The Divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ." Lond., 1789. (6) "Every Families Assistant, at Complin, Benediction, Night Prayers … and other Devotions." Lond., Coghlan, 1789, 16. (7) "A Dialogue." Lond., 1793. (8) "A General View of the Arguments for the Divinity of Christ." Lond., 1793.
BARNESLEY, John, vide Perrot.
BARNEY, Thomas Gilpin, admitted Nov. 27, 1895; ord. priest Mar. 23, and left Apr. 10, 1901; now at Torquay.
BARRETT, George, alias Martin, son of Thomas Barrett, of a good family in Warwickshire, at the age of fourteen came to Lisbon, and admitted Mar. 8, 1652; alumnus Oct. 10, 1655, and defended universal philosophy and divinity under Mr. Barnesley; ord. priest Mar. 7, 1661; appointed prefect of studies and procurator, Aug. 24, 1664; professor of philosophy, Sept. 20, 1667, and confessor, Dec. 2, 1668. Soon after left College for England, and Shropshire seems to have been the seat of his missionary labours. Under the chapter-government was Archdeacon of half of Hereford and Shropshire, his election taking place on Sept. 10, 1673; and when Bishop Leyburne became Vicar-Apostolic he appointed him rural dean of Salop and Cheshire. It is probable that he succeeded the Rev. William Wall at Longford, after that good priest s murder, near Leicester, whilst travelling to see his friends in Norfolk, in May, 1671. Longford Hall, near Newport, Salop, was the seat of the Hon. Mr. Thomas Talbot, son of John, Earl of Shrewsburv. Mr. Barrett was certainly there in 1693, and died Aug. 15, 1699, aged 61, "a very worthy person and sincere clergyman [i.e. chapter-man] and lover of the public," says Mr. Ward, secretary to the Old Chapter, adding, " This testimony is due to him from me, and from all that knew him."
BARRY, Michael, admitted Oct. 31, 1875; alumnus Dec. 20, 1883; ord. priest Jan. 29, 1887, and sent to St. Mary s College, Woolhampton; now at Southampton.
BARRY, Richard, admitted Oct. 12, 1865; alumnus Dec. 10, 1869; ord. priest; left Jan. 23, 1873; at Standish Hall, 1873-93; Chorley, 1894 to date.
BASKERVILLE, William, vide Bodenham.
BEAUMONT, John, vide Poyntz.
BEGGAN, Michael, admitted Sept. 27, 1865; ord. priest Dec. 18, 1869; left May 29, 1870, for Liverpool; now at Bootle, and canon.
BENNET, John, vide Hanmer.
BENSON, John Henry, admitted Sept. 24, 1879; alumnus Feb. 18, 1888; left Nov. 16, 1889; went to Salford Seminary, and ord. priest Aug. 10, 1890; Ashton-under-Lyne, 1891-2; retired to Plymouth, invalided, 1892; and died Oct. 21, 1893.
BERNARD, Gerard, alias Woodbury, educated at Twyford School, near Winchester, received his religious instruction from Rev. Robert Berry, who induced Bishop Giffard to recommend him to Dr. Ingleton, principal of St. Gregory s Seminary at Paris. There he was received, Dec. 2, 1729, but was placed for some years at Piapuse, which at that time served as a nursery for St. Gregory s. Was ord. priest Dec. 19, 1739, and took the doctor s cap at the Sorbonne, Mar. 8, 1742. In that year he came over to Lisbon, " When the College," says Bishop Challoner, "must have been lost without that seasonable supply." On Dec. 17, following, he took the oath for the office of vice-president. After the death of President John Manley, he was presented as successor, Feb. 3, 1756, by bishops Petre and Challoner, and was installed as rector of the English Residence, Sept. 14, 1759. He governed "with great wisdom and judgment," till his resignation Jan. 21, 1777. Continued to reside in the College till his death Sept. 22, 1783. Elected a canon of the Old English Chapter, Mar. 26, 1760. Was a classic in Latin and Greek, and was master of the French, Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese languages.
BETTS, John, born in London, son of John Betts, M.D., physician in ordinary to Charles II. and Queen Cathar ine, probably came here from St. Omer's College; was ordained subdeacon May 25, deacon May 26, and priest May 30, 1676, and left the College for the English mission Oct. 18, 1681. His youngest brother, James, born in 1674, went from St. Omer's to Douay College, where he became an alumnus in 1686, but when he had completed his course of philosophy, he expressed a wish to join the Carthusians. To this his father was strongly opposed, and in consequence he returned to England, married Frances, daughter of Mr. Sergeant Trinder, of Berry Court, near Bentley, Hants, who bore him two sons—John Philip, a priest and licentiate in divinity, and Joseph, who died a student at Douay and three daughters, all nuns, one at Dunkirk and the others at Rouen. After the death of his wife in 1704, he provided for the education of his children, and retired to his old college at Douay, whence he went to Nieuport, was professed under the name of Joseph, and died prior of the English Carthusian monastery, Oct. 31, 1729, aged 55.
BIDDLECORNE, or Biddlecombe, Edward, alias Stanley, born in Dorsetshire, arrived from Douay College, Nov. 14, 1628; ord. priest July 17, 1633; left for Douay College, Sept. 8, 1633. He is probably identical with Edward Coffin, fourth son of Richard Coffin, of Portlinch, co. Devon, Esq., by Eliz. dau. of Leonard Loveys, of Ogbeare, co. Cornwall, Esq., who used the alias of Martin Biddlecombe, became archdeacon of the Chapter and vicar general of particular district in 1656, and died Feb. 22, 1677 -8.
BIGGS, Samuel Seymour, admitted Oct. 26, 1864; alumnus Dec. 10, 1869; left Nov. 12, ord. priest Dec. 22, 1872, and placed at Birkenhead; subsequently at Madeley Market, Salop, and left in 1877 for America.
BILLINGTON, John, born Sept. 1 1763, and baptized at Ladywell, son of James Billington, and Jane his wife, of Durton-in-Broughton, co. Lancaster; followed his brother Thomas to Sedgley Park, and was confirmed there by Bishop Hornyold, May 16, 1776; admitted on the Triple Trust, Nov. 5, 1777; alumnus March 12, 1781; left the College for the mission Feb. 11, 1784.
BIMSON, Michael, born Dec. 10, 1804, and baptized by Rev. John Kaye, son of John Bimson and Mary Lea of Upholland, Lancashire; admitted Jan. 13, 1818; alumnus Apr. 1, 1823; ord. priest; left for mission Apr. 11, 1828; assistant to Rev. Andrew Macartney at Sheffield, whence removed to St. Mary's, Wigan, where died Aug. 9, 1830, aged 25.
BIRD, Christopher, alias Mahon; alumnus Sept. 7, 1686; ord. priest; sent to English mission, Dec. 23, 1689.
BIRTWISTLE, Richard, alias Halliwell, was no doubt a scion of the ancient Catholic family of Birtwistle of Huncote, Co. Lancaster, which returned a pedigree at Dugdale s Visitation in 1664. His mother was probably a daughter of Wm. Halliwell, of Liverpool, gent., whose family was allied with those of Nelson of Fairhurst, Molyneux of The Wood, and others of the Lancashire squirearchy. Admitted Aug. 17, 1727, on Dr. Thos. Godden's Fund; ord. priest Feb. 17, 1737; appointed prefect of studies Mar. 31, 1738; vice-president Oct. 31, 1739; and left the College for England Jan. 31, 1741. For a brief period he was stationed at Bunbury and Spurston, co. Chester, but left mission in the same year for Claughton Hall, Lancashire, where he died Jan. 26, 1742-3. He used the alias of Halliwell on the mission.
BISHOP, Francis, vide Victor.
BISSAGER, Isaac, alias John, admitted March 28, 1764, on Dr. Thos. Godden's Fund; died in the College, May 26, 1769.
BIX, Nicholas, probably a near relative of the two English Franciscans of his name; alumnus Nov. 30, 1697 ord. priest; sent England Dec. 22, 1702.
BLACKBURNE, Richard, vide Taylor.
BLACKLOE, Thomas, vide White.
BLACOE, Christopher, vide Tootell.
BLACOE, Joseph, alias Walton, of Lancashire; alumnus March 30, 1697; Priest; left for mission Jan. 24, 1703; died in Bedfordshire, Apr. 2, 1740.
BLEASDALE, John I., admitted Mar. 22, 1836; alumnus May 15, 1842; ord. priest; left Apr. 7, 1843; at Bishop's House, Northampton, 1843-5 Weedon, 1845-7 Aylesbury, 1847-8; Wolverton, 1848-50. Died in Australia.
BLEVIN, James, baptized by Rev. Robert Morgan, Sept. 18, 1732, son of Richard Blevin of London, and his wife Jane Amerstone; admitted on the Thatcher Fund, Aug. n, 1745; alumnus Dec. 19, 1750; minor orders Sept. 19, 1755. His brother William became an alumnus of Douay College at the age of 24, in his second year s philosphy, Dec. 28, 1758. One of these brothers either succeeded the Rev. Jas. Barnard at Cowdray, Sussex, or attended to that mission from Easebourne for some years before 1779, when the Rev. Richard Antrobus recommenced the register at Easebourne.
BLOUNT, Gilbert, born in Shropshire, son of James Blount, Esq., admitted July 7, 1640; ord. priest, July 30, 1645; left for England, Apr. 3, 1647.
BLOUNT, James Walter, born 1622, in Staffordshire, son of Francis Blount, Esq.; admitted Apr. 27, 1643 ord. priest Mar. 12, 1649; left for England May 1, 1650, but entered the English Bridgettine Monastery at Lisbon, and there was professed under the religious name of Jerome; died at Syon Abbey, Aug. 17, 1694, aged 72.
BLOUNT, Thomas, born in Shropshire, son of James Blount, Esq.; admitted Oct. 1, 1635, and commenced philosophy; ord. priest June 13, 1641; left for the English mission by way of Holland, Apr. 12, 1642. His missionary life was spent in his native county, where, after a few years, he was apprehended, brought to the bar on account of his priestly character, and died a confessor of the Faith under sentence of death in Shrewsbury gaol.
BLUNDELL, James, born Aug. 21, 1768, and baptized at Scarisbrick, co. Lancaster, by Fr. Raymond Harris, S.J., son of James Blundell and his wife Anne Gill; educated at Rev. Simon George Bordley s school at Newhouse, Aughton, who sent him to the College; admitted Oct. 10, 1787; ord. priest; in 1799 was appointed to take charge of the mission at Stockport, Cheshire, purchased a site at Edgeley for a new chapel, the foundation of which was laid in 1802, and the chapel, dedicated to SS. Philip and James, opened May i, 1803; withdrew to Great Singleton, in the Fylde, Lancashire, in 1825, and there died Sept. 7, 1839, aged 71. A tablet to his memory at Edgeley calls him founder of that chapel.
BODENHAM, William, alias Baskerville, born 1630, third son of William Bodenham, Esq., of Bryngwyn, co. Hereford, by Jane, dau. and heiress of Richard Wright of Swilley, co. Derby, and relict of Thomas Fleet, of Hollow, co. Worcester. His grandfather was Sir Roger Bodenham, K.B. of Rotherwas, co. Hereford, and his grandmother was Bridget, dau. of Sir Humphrey Baskerville, Knt., of Erdisley Castle, co. Hereford. Admitted Apr. 11, 1649; oath Mar. 28, ord. subdeacon Apr. 12, and deacon June 7, 1653, but left for France May 29, 1654. He returned to England, and marr. the dau. of John Dannett, of Bosbury.
BOLNEY, Robert, admitted Apr. 3, 1687, on Salvin s Fund, which was afterwards given up; alumnus Dec. 21, 1701; ord. priest; became a superior May 24, 1705, and was appointed prefect of studies Dec. 1, 1714, which office he seems to have held till Sept. 1719.
BOLTON, Richard, admitted Dec. 27, 1826; alumnus Dec. 8, 1834; ord. priest; left July 30, 1837; at Leyburn, Bedale, co. York, 1837, till death, Nov. 13, 1866.
BOND, Thomas, vide Pierce.
BOND, William Peter, born Aug. 1, 1811, son of Wm. Vincent and Nancy Bond, of St. Maugan s parish, Cornwall; went Sedgley Park, 1822-4 5 admitted Jan. 19, 1824; ord. priest, Mar. 29, 1835; left June 7, 1835; at Swansea, 1835-9; Marnhull, 1839-40; Chideock, 1840-4; accompanied Bp. Willson to Van Dieman s Land, Jan. 29, 1844; returned to England, and died May 26, 1888.
BONVILLE, Francis; admitted July 30, 1676; alumnus Sept. 8, 1677; prefect of studies and procurator, Jan. 10, 1682; left for English mission Nov. 8, 1684. He was probably a nephew of Fr. Antony Bonville, S.J., son of Humphrey Bonville, Esq., of Canford, co. Dorset.
BOOTH, Edward, alias Barlow, son of Richard Booth, baptized at Warrington, Dec. 15, 1639, had the venerable martyr, Dom Edw. Ambrose Barlow, O.S.B., for his godfather, and hence assumed the name of Barlow, on admittance to the College, Sept. 28, 1659, by which he passed throughout the remainder of his career; ord. priest Sept. 8, 1664; left Feb. 2, 1670; appointed chaplain to Lord Langdale, at Holme Hall, Yorkshire, whence removed to the seat of the Hoghtons, Park Hall, in Charnock Richard, Lancashire, in or about 1672. There his father, Richard Booth, died in the following year. Mr. Barlow was an excellent classical scholar, and is said to have had a competent knowledge of Hebrew before his admittance into the College. Dodd, who knew him well, says " that few of his age were better qualified by nature for mathematical science," adding: " the whole system of natural causes seeming to be lodged within him from his first coming to the use of reason." He often assured Dodd that his first perusal of Euclid was as easy to him as a newspaper. His name and fame are perpetuated in his invention of the pendulum watch, yet according to the too frequent fate of inventors, whilst others were great gainers by his ingenuity, Mr. Barlow would have reaped no benefit had not Mr. Tompion, accidentally informed of the inventor s name, made him a present of £200. But Mr. Barlow's scientific invention was not confined to clocks and watches. He constructed many most ingenious water and other engines in various places in Lancashire, which were eagerly copied and afterwards improved upon by others.
For very many years before his death, Mr. Barlow was grand-vicar (or vicar-general) for the Lancashire district, and in this position was greatly respected. He was a zealous missioner, and worked inestimable good in the neighbourhood of Park Hall, Strangeways, and Hindley. The regularity of his life, his mortified appetite, and his com passion for the poor–to whom he conformed in his dress–were, indeed, truly apostolic. "Tho always poor," says Dodd, "he always found means to relieve those that were in necessity." He died at Park Hall, Sept. 19, 1719, aged 79. He published: "A Treatise of the origin of Springs, Wind, and the flux and reflux of the Sea. With Explanatory Maps." Lond. 1714, 8°. "Meteorological Essays." Lond. 1715, 8°. "An Exact Survey of the Tide, explicating its production and propagation, variety and anomaly in all parts of the. World," &c. Lond. 1717, 2 vols. 8vo., with 12 curious maps. 2nd edition, Lond. 1722, 8vo., in 2 parts. He also left in MS., " A Treatise of the Eucharist," 3 vols. 4to.
BOOTH, John, alumnus July 12, 1693; ord. priest July 1, 1696; sent England Dec. 4, 1697; for some years resided at Cliffe Hall, near Stockton-on-Tees, a seat of the Witham s, where died Oct. 1, 1722.
BRADLEY, Peter, vide Winder.
BRADLEY, Thomas, vide Wright.
BRAILSFORD, Peter, admitted on John Woolfe's Fund; alumnus March 30, 1697; ord. priest and sent mission; died at Hampton, Middlesex, seat of Hon. Mrs. Porter, Dec. 2, 1734.
BRAIN, Charles, admitted Sept. 28, 1881, left Jan. 1, 1884; went to Oscott, June 5, 1885, and ord. priest Dec. 21, 1890; now at Chasetown, Walsall.
BRANNIGAN, Martin, admitted Oct. 10, 1884; ord. priest Dec. 22, 1894; left Apr. 25, 1895, for Harrow-road, London; now Walthamstow.
BREERS, William, alias Harrison, probably allied to the ancient family of Breers (or Bryers) of Walton Hall, in Walton-cum-Fazakerley, co. Lancaster, of whom several became priests and nuns; admitted Sept. 11, 1716, on the Radcliffe Fund; alumnus Oct. 28, 1723; appointed procurator April 23, 1727; left for the English mission Dec. 19, 1728, and placed at Alston Lane, near Preston, Lancashire, where died Oct. 23, 1741.
BRENNAN, John, admitted Oct. 12, 1874; left Mar. 7, 1879; proceeded to Ushaw, and ord. priest July 25, 1885; now at Ripon.
BRIDGES, Edward, alias Duvall, admitted April 17, and alumnus Sept. 15, 1737; ord. priest March 8, 1744; for mission Feb. 22, 1745; chaplain to the Manby family of South Weald, Essex, for upwards of thirty years, and so died, Dec. 25, 1778.
BRINDLE, Robert, born Liverpool, Nov. 4, 1837; admitted Aug. 1, 1851, and after a distinguished course ord. priest Dec. 27, 1862; left Apr. 25, 1863; at Bishop s House, Plymouth, 1863-4; Camborne, 1864-7 Bishop s House, Plymouth, 1867-74; appointed chaplain to the forces, Jan. 12, 1874, and during the Egyptian war was present at the battle of Tel el Kebir, being the only chaplain at the front; was in the midst of the fire during the campaigns of Suakim, the Nile, and Ginneas, 1884-6; having spent ten years at Aldershot and Colchester, accompanied Lord Kitchener s expedition, and was present at battles of Atbara and Khartoum; twice specially promoted for service in the field; received the first pension for distinguished and meritorious service ever granted to a Catholic chaplain; companion of the Distinguished Service Order; medal with four clasps for Egypt, 1882; Turkish Order of the Medijet, third class, and Egyptian Order; medal for service in the Soudan with three clasps, and the Khedival bronze star, 1882; on retirement from the army in 1899, received from His Holiness the dignity of Domestic Prelate, and on the petition of Cardinal Vaughan was appointed by the Papal See his assistant, was consecrated bishop of Hermopolis in the church of San Gregorio on the Coelian Hill, by Cardinal Sartolli, March 12, 1899, and returned at once to England to take up his duties; on the resignation of the Rt. Rev. Bishop Bagshawe, received his brief to the See of Nottingham, Dec. 16, 1901.
BRITTON, William, son of Dionysius Britton, of London; admitted July 4, 1633; left July 8, 1635. He may possibly bewith the Father William Britton, who, according to a report of the Jesuit Irish Mission, 1641-50, was serving in the Residence of Cashel, and had been cruelly handled in the church there by a mob of heretics.
BROCKHOLES, Roger, third son of Thomas Brockholes, of Claughton Hall, co. Lancaster, Esq., by Mary dau. and heiress of John Holden, of Chaighley Manor, in the same county, Esq., was sent to Douay College, where he took the oath Aug. 15, 1678. Having completed his course of theology, he came to Lisbon, admitted June 15, 1683, alumnus Jan. 15, 1684; ord. priest; taught classics for three years; appointed professor of philosophy Apr. 3, 1687, prof, of theology Jan. 1690, and prefect of studies Sept. 5, 1692; left for English mission June 29, 1695, and appointed senior confessor at York Bar Convent, where he died in 1700. Two years previously, on Oct. 10, 1698, he had been elected an archdeacon of the Old Chapter; an old record says: "He was a laborious and zealous missionary, and died with great sentiments of piety."
BROMLEY, Stephen, admitted about the middle of the 18th century. He is possibly identical with Dom Anselm Bromley, O.S.B., a native of Liverpool, professed at St. Lawrence s Monastery at Dieulward in 1766, sent to the mission in the North Province, and died in Liverpool, Nov. 27, 1779.
BROMWICH, Andrew, born in Shropshire, a member of an ancient family, admitted Jan, 10, 1668, alumnus Jan. 9, 1672; ord. priest; apprehended almost immediately upon his arrival in England, one of the victims of the Oates Plot of 1678, and committed to Stafford Gaol, tried at the county assizes, Aug. 13, 1679, before Lord Chief Justice Scroggs. The official report of the trial, printed by appointment of Scroggs, reads more like a burlesque than anything else. It seems that Mr. Bromwich resided at Perry Barr, parish of Handsworth, co. Stafford, and that he came over to England in 1678. It was asserted that he had said Mass at The Hay, near Madeley, co. Salop, the seat of Mr. Purcell, and also at Mr. Birch's, but the evidence was of the flimsiest character. He was con demned to death under the Act of 27 Eliz., cap. 2, for being a seminary priest and coming into this country, and remitted back to gaol, where he lay for some time, apparently forgotten, so that after the national ferment raised by the Oates Plot had subsided he obtained his release with connivance rather than by actual reprieve. He then returned to his home and property at Oscott, where he remained till his death, Oct. 21, 1702. He thus established the mission at Oscott, settling his estate for that purpose, and was succeeded by his uncle the Rev. Francis Fitter. Subsequently it vas made into the episcopal residence of the Vicar-Apostolic of the Midland District, and finally developed into Oscott College. Mr. Bromwich was a member of The Institute.
BROOKE, John, vide Fitzherbert.
BROOKE, Thomas, admitted Jan. 21, 1743, on the Radcliffe Fund, ord. Priest June 5, 1751; died in the College May 3, 1756.
BROOKS, Thomas, vide Younge.
BROWN, John, vide Woolfe.
BROWNE, Edward, son of Edward Brown, yeo. by his second wife Nancy, only dau. of John Hilton, was educated here, and received minor orders, but leaving, settled in Black burn, and married Nov. 25, 1814, Alice, dau. of John Greenhalgh, of Blackburn, and sister of Henry Canon Greenhalgh, of Weld Bank; had six sons priests; subsequently resided in Preston and at Liverpool; died Mar. 13, 1867.
BROWNE, Edward Francis, eld. son of Edw. Browne, of Preston, q.v.; went Seclgley Park, 1828-9; admitted Dec. 24, 1829; alumnus Dec. 7, 1836; ord. priest; left Aug. 6, 1839; Minster Acres, Northumberland, 1839-42; Great Eccleston-in-the-Fylde, 1842-6; Birkenhead, and thence to Wrexham, where he died July 17, 1872; was canon of Shrewsbury, and in 1859 was made D.D.
BROWNE, Henry Francis, born Jan. 4, 1824, son of Edward Browne, of Preston, q.v.; admitted July 19, 1838, alumnus Dec. 9, 1846, left Oct. 9, 1848; ord. priest at St. Nicholas, Liverpool, 1849, and appointed curate at St. Anthony s, Liverpool; St. Mary s, Manchester, 1849-55 director of the Catholic Collegiate Institute, Manchester, 1855-8; Levenshulme, 1858-60; Stydd Lodge, Ribchester, 1860-7 St. Edmund s, Bolton, 1867-80; SS. Peter and Paul, Bolton, 1880-5 5 retired to Southport, and died there Oct. 10, 1886, aged 62.
BROWNE, James William, admitted Aug. 24, 1877; proceeded to the English College, Rome, but left through ill health, and went to Oscott College, 1882-5, and ord. priest at Oscott, Jan. 24, 1886, and was placed at the Cathedral, Nottingham; became canon of Nottingham, 1900; now at St. Joseph's, Derby.
BROWNE, John, born 1636, son of Thomas Browne, admitted March 8, 1652, left Oct. 18, 1655. BROWNE, John Francis, son of Edward Browne, q.v.; admitted Feb. 19, 1843; left Oct. 15, 1846; proceeded to English Coll., Rome, where ord. priest; at St. Chad s, Manchester, 1853-7 became military chaplain, 1857, and at Gosport till 1868, Aldershot 1868-76, Portsmouth, 1876-86, Cairo, Egypt, 1886-7, Portsmouth, 1887-8, when retired, at Portsmouth, 1888-92, Portchester, 1892-3, Portsmouth, 1893 till death, Nov. 6, 1894.
BROWNE, Joseph Aloysius, born 1820, son of Edw. Browne, of Preston, q.v.; admitted July 19, 1838, alumnus Dec. 9, 1846; ord. priest; left July 25, 1849; at Carlisle, 1849-51; St. Andrew s, Newcastle, 1851-6; Houghton-le-Spring, 1856-89; Chiswick, London, 1889-90; Dartford, Kent, 1890 till death, Mar. 23, 1897, aged 76; was canon of Hexham and Newcastle for many years.
BROWNE, Richard Aloysius, born in Manchester, Nov. 16, 1817, son.of Edw. Browne, of Preston, q.v.; went Sedgley Park School, Jan. 1829; admitted Dec. 24, 1829, ord. priest May 22, and left Aug. 9, 1842; at Everingham Park, co. York, 1842-7; St. Anne s, Leeds, 1847, during epidemic of typhus fever, and remains there; canon of Beverley, 1850, and in 1878, on establishment of CathedralChapter of Leeds, appointed provost, his church being made the Pro-Cathedral.
BROWNE, William Francis, son of Edw. Browne, of Preston, q.v.; admitted Nov. 23, 1844, alumnus Mar. 15, 1852; ord. priest, and retained as professor; left July 8, 1864; at Stamford, co. Lincoln, 1864-80; canon of Notts., 1869, subsequently provost and V.G.; St. Wilfrid's, York, 1881 till death, Jan. 5, 1887.
BUCKLEY, James, born Feb. 24, 1770, son of John and Ann Buckley, of London, baptized by Rev. Gerard Robinson; admitted Feb. 22, 1785; ord. priest Dec. 24, 1794, and retained in the College as a superior till 1801; presented to the presidency by Bishops Douglass and Poynter, Mar. 29, and formally installed, Dec. 15, 1806; resigned and returned to the English mission, 1819.
BULLESBACH, Rudolph, admitted Nov. 29, 1880, ord. priest Feb. 15, and left May 2, 1891; now at Tooting-Graveney, London.
BUNCE, George, admitted Nov. 11, 1868, ord. priest, Dec., 1877, and left May 8, 1878; now at Bilston, co. Stafford.
BUTLER, James A., admitted Sept. 17, 1872, ord. priest Dec. 22, 1877, left Mar. 8, 1878; now at Aiskew, Bedale, co. York.
BYFLEET, John, vide Gildon.
BYRNE, Joseph, admitted Oct. 14, 1890, ord. priest Mar. 18, and left Apr. 12, 1899; now at West Hartlepool.
BYRNE, Thomas, admitted July 13, 1881; alumnus, Feb. 28, 1889; ord. priest Apr. 2, and left March 4, 1892; now at Derby.
BYRON, Thomas, probably a member of the recusant family of his name settled at Sutton, Lancashire, an offshoot from the Byrons of Byron Hall, in the same county, who still retained the faith in the reign of James I.; alumnus Sept. 15, 1680; ord. priest; appointed procurator Nov. 4, 1684; left for England, Apr. 29, 1686.
- Handwritten note (undated):struck out Ushaw, added text Velladolid Aug 7h 1879 – (illegible text) orders, Sept. 1 1882 & (illegible text) foll. deg. ordn'd Liens (illegible text) (Wikisource contributor note)