A PREFACE TO THE SECOND EDITION OF PHILOMYTHUS
[The Author, having regard to the circumstances in which a controversy, provoked by the Editor of the "Spectator", was "closed" by the latter, invites the attention of the Press to the question; and places the disposal of the Editors of any Periodicals, literary or otherwise, such portions as they may desire to reproduce in their columns.]
- I.The Motive of the Author
- II.The Criticism of the Spectator
- III.The Editor of the Spectator
- IV.Mr. Ward's Charge of "unmannerly abuse"
- V.Mr. Ward's Charge of "direct misrepresentation"
- VI. Mr Ward's "Hopes"
- VII. The "Spectator's" Arithmetic
- VIII. An appeal from the Editor of "The Spectator" to Mr. R.H. Hutton
- IX. Mr. R.H. Hutton's "Cardinal Newman"
- X. The Kingsleyan Controversy