Page:Confederate Military History - 1899 - Volume 7.djvu/238

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.
219
CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

THE FIFTY-SEVENTH ALABAMA INFANTRY.

The Fifty-seventh regiment was organized at Troy, March, 1863, as part of Clanton's brigade; was temporarily attached to Slaughter's brigade, and in September was again with General Clanton. It was on duty at Mobile and Pollard until January, 1864. Moved to Demopolis, it was attached to Scott's brigade, and joined the army of Tennessee in time to share in the perils and hardships of the Dalton-Atlanta campaign; was in numerous battles and skirmishes, but did not suffer greatly until Peachtree Creek, when the regiment was severely cut up, losing almost half its number. It then moved into Tennessee and lost heavily; at the battles of Franklin and Nashville; was transferred to North Carolina, and fought at Bentonville with severe loss. It was consolidated with the Twenty-seventh, Thirty-fifth, Forty-ninth and Fifty-fifth regiments, under the command of Colonel McAlexander, and surrendered with Johnston's army at the close of the war.

Col. J. P. W. Amerine, its first colonel, was succeeded by Col. C. J. L. Cunningham, who led the regiment for the greater part of the war, after December, 1863; he was wounded at Franklin. Lieut.-Col. W. C. Bethune, Capt. A. L. Mulligan, Maj. J. H. Wiley and Capt. R. H. Lane were at different times in command. Lieut.-Col. Bethune and Captain Faison were wounded at Peachtree Creek; Major Arnold and Capt. Bailey M. Talbot were killed there.

EXTRACTS FROM OFFICIAL WAR RECORDS.

Fifty-seventh Alabama infantry, Col. J. P. W. Amerine, (also called Fifty-fourth). No. 42—(39) Temporarily attached to Slaughter's brigade, department of the Gulf, June 8, 1863; called "a new regiment from Clanton's brigade." (131) August 1st, Colonel Amerine commanding regiment and brigade. (156, 157) August 10, 1863, stationed at Pollard. (239, 240) September 19th, at Pollard, Ala., in General Clanton's brigade. (275, 402, 511, 561)