Assignment as above, to December. (334) October 18th, spoken of by General Maury as being very large, and excellent in its appointments and drill. (550) December 26th, report of Maj. C. J. L. Cunningham, of Fifty-seventh regiment. (556) Highly commended by General Clanton, May 9, 1864.
No. 59—(604, 659, 862) March, 1864, under Col. C. J. L. Cunningham, in Scott's brigade, Polk’s army. April 30th, Lieut.-Col. W. C. Bethune commanding.
No. 74—(645, et seq.) Assignment as above, Atlanta campaign; Colonel Cunningham. (664) July 31, 1864, Capt. Aug. L. Milligan commanding regiment, in Scott's brigade, Hood's army. (670) August 31st, Colonel Cunningham commanding regiment. (895) Report of General Scott, battle of July 20th, 13 killed and 98 wounded. (897) Report of Capt. A. L. Milligan, Fifty-seventh regiment: "The long list of casualties in this regiment, in the engagement of the 20th instant, will be sufficient evidence of its deep devotion to the cause of Southern liberty and independence. The regiment, commanded by Colonel Bethune, went into action 330 strong. It lost in killed, wounded and missing, 157, including 2 field officers and 1 staff officer, and 15 line officers."
No. 78—(589) Highly commended by General Clanton. (854) September 20, 1864, under Maj. J. Horatio Wiley, in Scott's brigade, Hood's army.
No. 93—(666) Same assignment, Nashville campaign.
No. 98—(1063) April 9, 1865, consolidated with Twenty-seventh, Thirty-fifth, Forty-ninth and Fifty-fifth, under Col. Ed. McAlexander, Shelley's brigade, Stewart's corps.
No. 100–(735) Under Capt. Reuben H. Lane, Scott's brigade, Johnston's army.
THE FIFTY-EIGHTH ALABAMA INFANTRY.
The Fifty-eighth regiment was formed from the Ninth battalion. This battalion was organized at New Bern, November, 1861, and proceeded to Corinth in the spring; was engaged at Shiloh, Farmington and in a number of skirmishes with slight loss, but suffered more severely at Blackland, losing about 20 men killed and wounded, besides a large number by disease at Corinth and Tupelo. It was sent to Mobile in the summer of 1862, and remained