Page:Confederate Military History - 1899 - Volume 7.djvu/342

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.
323
CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

1, 1864, Dalton, Ga. (872) Artillery reserve in Johnston's army, April 30th. No. 74—(644-675) In artillery reserve, army of Tennessee, April to August, 1864. (901) Commended by Gen. S. G. French, Kenesaw mountain, June 27th. (968) Mentioned by Maj. George Storrs, same battle. No. 78—(858) Hood's army, September 20, 1864, at Macon, Ga.

Battery C. No. 55—-(662) Capt. T. J. Key, in General Stevenson's division, November 20, 1864. No. 57—(484) J. F. Waddell ordered to report to General Stevenson, near Dalton, February 25th.

GID NELSON BATTERY.

The Gid Nelson battery, also called Selden's and Lovelace's, was organized at Uniontown in the spring of 1862; was in Slaughter's, and afterward Cantey's, brigade, army of Mobile, during the summer of 1863. In January, 1864, it was at Jackson, Miss., commanded by Captain Selden. It was transferred to Walthall's division, army of Tennessee, and in June, 1864, was commanded by Lieut. Chas. W. Lovelace. It was in a fight near Kenesaw Mountain, June, 1864, and at Peachtree Creek in July. Here Lieutenant Lovelace was wounded, but remained at his guns until his ammunition was exhausted. Major Preston, chief of artillery, was killed while personally supervising this battery at Peachtree Creek. The battery was complimented on the field by General Reynolds. It fought with considerable loss at Jonesboro in August, and in October gained great distinction by the reduction of the blockhouse at Tilton, near Dalton, where 300 Union prisoners were taken. It fought at Nashville, losing heavily in guns and men; here Lieutenant Lovelace was captured. The battery was transferred to Mobile and commanded by Capt. W. M. Selden in March, 1865; it finally surrendered at Meridian. It was called, successively, by the names of its captains.

EXTRACTS FROM OFFICIAL WAR RECORDS.

No. 42—(39) In Slaughter's brigade, June 8, 1863.