This page has been validated.
- Fakirs, Indian, tortures undergone by, 118.
- Falco leucocephalus, 484.
- —— peregrinus, 408, 461.
- —— tinnunculus, 408.
- Falcon, peregrine, new mate found by, 408.
- Falconer, H., on the mode of fighting of the Indian elephant, 513; on canines in a female deer, 514; on Hyomoschus aquaticus, 547.
- Falkland Islands, horses of, 181.
- Fallow-deer, different coloured herds of, 540.
- Famines, frequency of, among savages, 46.
- Farr, Dr., on the structure of the uterus, 38; on the effects of profligacy, 137; on the influence of marriage on mortality, 139, 140.
- Farrar, F. W., on the origin of language, 87; on the crossing or blending of languages, 91; on the absence of the idea of God in certain races of men, 93; on early marriages of the poor, 138; on the middle ages, 141.
- Fashions, long prevalence of, among savages, 576, 584.
- Faye, Prof., on the numerical proportion of male and female births in Norway and Russia, 243; on the greater mortality of male children at and before birth, 243.
- Feathers, modified, producing sounds, 377 et seq., 450; elongated, in male birds, 383, 403; racket-shaped, 384; barbless and with filamentous barbs in certain birds, 385; shedding of margins of, 393.
- Feeding, high, probable influence of, in the pairing of birds of different species, 415.
- Feet, thickening of the skin on the soles of the, 33; modification of, in man, 52.
- Felis canadensis, throat-ruff of, 521.
- —— pardalis and F. mitis, sexual differences in the colouring of, 534.
- Female, behaviour of the, during courtship, 222.
- —— birds, differences of, 470.
- Females, presence of rudimentary male organs in, 162; preference of, for certain males, 214; pursuit of, by males, 221; occurrence of secondary sexual characters in, 225; development of male characters by, 227.
- Females and males, comparative numbers of, 213, 215; comparative mortality of, while young, 216.
- Femur and tibia, proportions of, in the Aymara Indians, 34.
- Fenton, Mr., decrease of Maories, 184; infanticide amongst the Maories, 256.
- Ferguson, Mr., on the courtship of fowls, 417.
- Fertility lessened under changed conditions, 188.
- Fertilisation, phenomena of, in plants, 222; in the lower animals, 222.
- Fevers, immunity of Negroes and Mulattoes from, 193.
- Fiber zibethicus, protective colouring of it, 542.
- Fick, H., effect of conscription for military service, 134.
- Fidelity of savages to one another, 118; importance of, 124.
- Field-slaves, difference of, from house-slaves, 196.
- Fijians, burying their old and sick parents alive, 102; estimation of the beard among the, 581; admiration of, for a broad occiput, 583.
- Fiji Archipelago, population of the, 173.
- —— Islands, beards of the natives, 560, 581; marriage-customs of the, 598.
- Filial affection, partly the result of natural selection, 105.
- Filum terminale, 23.
- Finch, racket-shaped feathers in the tail of a, 384.
- Finches, spring change of colour in, 393; British, females of the, 460.
- Fingers, partially coherent, in species of Hylobates, 51.
- Finlayson, on the Cochin Chinese, 578.
- Fire, use of, 49, 145, 180.
- Fischer, on the pugnacity of the male of Lethrus cephalotes, 300.
- Fish, eagerness of male, 221; proportion of the sexes in, 249; sounds produced by, 347.