edition appeared in 1581, 16mo. In 1608 Henry Gosson issued an edition in quarto, a copy of which is in the British Museum. The work is a translation of Beroaldus's ‘Declamatio Ebriosi, Scortatoris, Aleatoris, de vitiositate disceptantium,’ which first appeared in 1499, and was translated into French (1556) and into German (1530).
[Authorities quoted; Ritson's Bibl. Anglo-Poetica; Works in Brit. Mus. Libr.; Cat. Bodleian and Huth Libraries; Collier's Bibl. Account, ii. 312–16; Hazlitt's Handbook, p. 531; information from Mr. R. E. Graves of the British Museum.]
SALTER, THOMAS FREDERICK (fl. 1814–1826), writer on angling, carried on business as a hatter at 47 Charing Cross, London. When a child of twelve he constantly accompanied his father on fishing expeditions, and until the age of fifty-two he used to fish wherever possible in the vicinity of London, remaining at favourite stations for weeks together. When, owing to declining health, he retired from business, he lived for a long time at Clapton Place, and put into writing his observations on angling. He called himself ‘gent.’ in the title of his first book, ‘The Angler's Guide, or Complete London Angler in the Thames, Lea, and other Waters twenty miles round London’ (1814), and dedicated it to the Duchess of York. He added a weather table, in which he assigns meteorological changes to the influence of the moon. A ninth edition was published in 1841. This is still one of the soundest and most practical treatises on the art of angling. A few copies of the sixth edition were printed on large paper with proof impressions of the plates. Salter also published: ‘The Angler's Guide Abridged,’ 1816, which passed through nine editions, and ‘The Troller's Guide,’ 1820 (3rd edit. 1841); this was also appended to the fifth edition of the ‘Angler's Guide.’
[Salter's books; Bibliotheca Piscatoria; Notes and Queries, 2nd ser. iv. 57.]
SALTER, WILLIAM (1804–1875), painter, son of William and Sarah Salter, was born at Honiton, Devonshire, and baptised there on 26 Dec. 1804. He removed to London in 1822, and became a pupil of James Northcote, R.A. [q. v.], with whom he remained until 1827. He then went to reside at Florence, where in 1831 he exhibited a picture of ‘Socrates before the Judges of the Areopagos,’ which was much admired, and led to his election as a member of the Florence academy. After visiting Rome and working for a time at Parma, where also he was elected into the academy, Salter returned to England in 1833. Soon afterwards he undertook the work by which he is now remembered, and upon which he was engaged for six years, ‘The Waterloo Banquet at Apsley House.’ This picture, containing faithful portraits of the Duke of Wellington and all his most distinguished companions in arms, eighty-three figures in all, was exhibited in 1841 by F. G. Moon, the publisher, at his gallery in Threadneedle street, and excited intense interest and admiration; a large engraving from it by Greatbach, published by Moon in 1846, also became very popular. In 1852 a proposal was made to purchase the picture by subscription and present it to the Duke of Wellington, but the project was not carried out, presumably being frustrated by the duke's death; the work is now in the possession of Mr. William Mackenzie of Fawley Court, Henley-on-Thames. Salter painted many religious, mythological, and historical subjects, exhibiting chiefly at the British Institution and with the Society of British Artists, of which body he became a member in 1846 and later a vice-president. His portraits are numerous and of good quality; those of the Duke of Wellington, Wilberforce, Sir A. Dickson, and others have been engraved. In 1838 Salter presented an altarpiece of the ‘Descent from the Cross’ to the new parish church of his native town. He died at Devon Lodge, West Kensington, on 22 Dec. 1875; at the time of his death he was a corresponding member of the council of the Parma academy.
[Redgrave's Dict. of Artists; Ottley's Dict. of Artists; Athenæum, 1841; Art Union, 1841, p. 91; Art Journal, 1876; Pycroft's Art in Devonshire; information from the Rev. H. J. Fortescue.]
SALTHOUSE, THOMAS (1630–1691), quaker, was born in Lancashire in 1630, probably at Dragley Beck, an outlying district in Ulverston parish, about half a mile from Swarthmoor Hall. After a scanty education, Salthouse was employed as land steward by Judge Thomas Fell at Swarthmoor Hall (Wastfield, True Testimony, p. 43; Webb, Fells of Swarthmoor, pp. 41, 146), and was converted to quakerism, with the other inmates of the house, on George Fox's first visit there in 1652. His brother Robert also became a quaker. Two years later he set out with Miles Halhead to visit Cornwall, where many of the sect were in prison. On reaching Honiton, they were taken for cavaliers and imprisoned a fortnight. Being passed on as ‘vagrants’ (although described as ‘men of substance and reputation, who travelled on horseback, lodged at the best inns, and paid punctually’), they reached