well as a medical colleague, remarks upon the touching coincidence that one who had so largely and intelligently occupied himself with this very disease should have become, more than five months before his death, an example of that curious and probably impenetrable mystery, a living, breathing, and in many respects normal and intelligent man, absolutely cut off, by physical disease of one portion of the cerebral hemisphere, from communication with his kind. He died in February 1881 after a sudden attack of an apoplectic character, attended with complete loss of consciousness.
Sanders married, in December 1861, Miss Georgiana Woodrow of Norwich, and left five children; his eldest son followed his father's profession.
[Obituary notice in Edinburgh Medical Journal, April 1881, p. 939; personal information.]
SANDERSON, JAMES (1769?–1841?), musician, was born at Workington, Durham, about 1769. From earliest childhood he showed musical gifts, and at the age of fourteen, although he had received no tuition, was engaged as violinist at the Sunderland Theatre. In 1784 he established himself at Shields as a teacher, and in 1787 became leader at the Newcastle Theatre. He went to London in 1788, and led the orchestra at Astley's Theatre. His first essay in dramatic composition was an illustrative instrumental accompaniment to Collins's ‘Ode on the Passions,’ which G. F. Cooke was to recite during his benefit at Chester. In 1793 Sanderson was engaged at the Royal Circus (now the Surrey Theatre) as composer and musical director; in this post he remained many years, producing the incidental music for many dramas and isolated vocal and instrumental pieces. The accepted tune of ‘Comin' thro' the rye’ was composed by Sanderson. The most successful of his acknowledged compositions was a ballad, ‘Bound 'Prentice to a Waterman,’ sung in the drama ‘Sir Francis Drake’ (1800); it was regularly introduced into nautical plays for fully half a century. Two of Sanderson's ballads were reprinted in the ‘Musical Bouquet’ as late as 1874. The titles of his works fill twenty-nine pages of the British Museum catalogue. He is said to have died about 1841 (cf. Fétis).
[Fétis's Biographie Universelle des Musiciens, 1844; Grove's Dict. of Music and Musicians, iii. 224; Chappell's Popular Music of the Olden Time, p. 795 n.; Sanderson's compositions.]
SANDERSON, JOHN, D.D. (d. 1602), catholic divine, a native of Lancashire, matriculated as a sizar of Trinity College, Cambridge, in May 1554, became a scholar of that house, and in 1557–8 proceeded to the degree of B.A. He was subsequently elected a fellow, and in 1561 he commenced M.A. (Cooper, Athenæ Cantabr. ii. 351). In 1562 he was logic reader of the university. His commonplaces in the college chapel on 2 and 4 Sept. in that year gave offence to the master, Dr. Robert Beaumont, and the seniors. He was charged with superstitious doctrine as respects fasting and the observance of particular days, and with having used allegory and cited Plato and other profane authors when discoursing on the scriptures. In fine he was expelled from his fellowship for suspicious doctrine and contumaciously refusing to make a written recantation in a prescribed form, although it would seem that he made what is termed a revocation. Among the reasons for his expulsion was ‘a stomachous insultinge ageynst the Masters charitable admonycion.’ He appealed to the vice-chancellor, but the visitors of the university, or the commissioners for causes ecclesiastical, interposed, and he was not restored to his fellowship. Alexander Nowell [q. v.], in a letter to Archbishop Parker, observes: ‘It is not onlie in hande whether John Sanderson shalbe felow of Trinitie college, or noo felow; but whether ther shalbe enie reuerence towards the superiors, enie obedience, enie redresse or reformation in religion in that hoole Vniversitie or noo: whether the truthe shall obteine, or papistrie triumphe’ (Churton, Life of Dean Nowell, pp. 75, 398).
Soon afterwards Sanderson proceeded to Rome, and then into France. Being obliged to leave the latter country in consequence of the civil commotions which raged there, he retired into Flanders, and in 1570 was enrolled among the students of the English College at Douay. There he formed a close friendship with John Pits [q. v.] He was ordained priest, and took the degree of D.D. in the university of Douay. On 2 April 1580 he arrived at Rheims, in company with Dr. Allen, and became divinity professor in the English College there. He was likewise appointed a canon of the cathedral church of Cambray, a dignity which he retained till his death. About 1591 he was at Mons (Strype, Annals, iv. 68). He died at Cambray in 1602, bearing a high reputation for sanctity and learning.
His only printed work besides Latin verses to Archbishop Parker (Parker MS. in Corpus Christi College Library, No. 106, p. 543), pub-