William Buller succeeded Dr. Home in the deanery of Canterbury 19th June 1790. He was promoted to the see of Exeter in 1793.
Folliott Herbert Walker Cornwallis succeeded Dr. Buller in the deanery of Canterbury 32nd Jan. 1793. He resigned the deanery on being promoted to the see of Bristol in 1797.
Thomas Powys succeeded to the deanery 2nd May 1797. He died 24th Nov. 1809.
Gerrard Andrewes succeeded Dr. Powys 8th Nov. 1809; and died 2nd June 1825, ætat. 75.
Hon. Hugh Percy succeeded Dr. Andrewes 20th June 1825. He was promoted to the bishopric of Rochester in Sept. 1827.
Hon. Richard Bagot succeeded Dr. Percy in the deanery of Canterbury 2nd Sept. 1827. He was made bishop of Oxford in 1829, and held this deanery in commendam till he was translated to Bath and Wells in December 1845.
William Rowe Lyall was nominated as dean of Canterbury 26th Nov. 1845.
Wilfred is the first archdeacon whose name is found in any chronicle or document. It occurs as a sub-
- Bishops' Certificates.
- Church Book, Home Office.
- An entry in a manuscript called the Black Book, belonging to the archdeaconry of Canterbury, has been received by archbishop Parker, Wharton and Somner, as the principal evidence of the origin of the archdeaconry of Canterbury. It states that, from the time of Augustine, the first archbishop of Canterbury, to that of Lanfranc, a period of four hundred and sixty-two years, there was no archdeacon in the city or diocese of Canterbury; but that, from the time of Theodore, the sixth primate, there was, in St. Martin's church, in the suburbs of Canterbury, a bishop who performed within that city and diocese, during the archbishop's absence, all episcopal offices; that the bishop of St. Martin's died during the archiepiscopate of Lanfranc, and that that primate would not ordain another bishop to the church, but transferred that portion of the jurisdiction which the bishop of St. Martin exercised within the city of Canterbury, to one of his clerks named Valerius, and who first obtained the title of archdeacon. This instrument seems to have been forged by the monks of St. Augustine's abbey about the year 1313 for the express purpose of taking from the archdeacon the power of exercising provincial and diocesan jurisdiction during the vacancy of the see, and in the hope of ending a contest which had disturbed their cloisters for more than seventy years. Batteley has with much acumen and learning exposed the forgery, and proved that the office of archdeacon of Canterbury did not arise out of the suppression of the office of bishop of St. Martin, but that it existed from the time of archbishop Theodore at least, who having been consecrated at Rome by pope Vitalianus in 668, came into England in the following year, and was, according to Beda, the first archbishop to whom the whole church of England did own subjection (cum omnis Anglorum ecclesia manus dare consentiret), and who, exercising the severest discipline over his clergy, would certainly have had his archdeacon, long before called the Eye of the Bishop, and whose office it was to remind and admonish the clergy to observe the decrees and canons of councils and synods. The reader feeling interested in this subject is referred to Batteley's "Discourse concerning the Archdeaconry and Archdeacons of Canterbury."