Until 11th Aug. 1840 there were twelve canonries or prebends in the church of Canterbury; three of which, viz. the first, fourth, and sixth, were in the gift of the archbishop of Canterbury, all the rest were in the gift of the King.
The canons, with the dean, were incorporated 8th April 1542, by letters patent, under the name of the Dean and Chapter of the Cathedral and Metropolitical Church of Christ in Canterbury.
Richard Thornden, alias Le Stede, appointed by the charter of incorporation 8th April 1542.
- In that year an act (3 and 4 Vict. c. 93) was passed, enacting that in the chapter and cathedral church of Canterbury six canonries shall be suspended in the following order; that is to say, the canonry firstly vacant shall be suspended; and the canonry now held by the archdeacon of Canterbury and the canonry secondly vacant shall be subject to the provisions hereinafter contained respecting the endowment of archdeaconries by the annexation of canonries thereto; and the canonry thirdly vacant shall be suspended, and the canonry fourthly vacant shall be filled up by her Majesty; and the two canonries fifthly and sixthly vacant shall be suspended, and the then next vacant canonry shall be filled up by her Majesty; and the two canonries which shall then next be vacant shall be suspended ; and that thereafter, upon every fourth vacancy among the canonries not annexed to any archdeaconry, the lord archbishop of Canterbury shall appoint a canon, and all other vacancies among such last-mentioned canonries shall be filled up by her Majesty.
N. B. Three of these canonries have been suspended by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; one in 1838, another in 1845, and a third in 1846.