England is considerable. He is Prudent of the Bible Society, the Pastoral Aid Society, and the So- ciety for the Conversion of the Jews, and was formerly President of the Protestant Alliance ; is a prominent member of all those religious so- cieties which are founded on an "evangelical" basis, and is an active advocate of the abolition of slavery throughout the world.
SHAIRP, John Campbell, LL.D., was born at Uoustoun House, Lin- lithgowshire, and educated at Edin- burgh Academy, Glasgow Univer- sity, and Balliol College, Oxford ; was appointed by the late Dr. Tait, Archbishop of Canterbury, an Assistant Master of Rugby School ; made Professor of Humanity at the United College of St. Salvator and St. Leonard's, in the University of St. Andrews, in 1861 ; and appointed Principal of the same College in 1868. In 1877 he was elected by Convocation Professor of Poetry in the University of Oxford. Mr. Shairp's works are, " Kilmahoe, a Highland Pastoral, with other Poems," 1864 ; " Studies in Poetry and Philosophy," 1868 ; ** Lectures on Culture and Religion," 1870;
- Life of Principal James Forbes "
(personal portion), 1873 ; " The Poetic Interpretation of Nature," 1877; and ** Aspects of Poetry," being lectures delivered from the Oxford Chair of Poetry, 1881.
SHAW, Richard Nobman, R.A., architect, was born at Edinburgh in 1831. and passed the first seven years of his professional life in the office of the late Mr. William Bum, during which time he worked as a student at the Royal Academy, gaining the silver medal and a spe- cial prize of books in 1852. In 1853 he gained the gold medal, and in 1854 was elected the travelling student for two years. On his return he published '* Architectural Sketches from the Continent.** Sub- sequently he was with Mr. George Edmund Street for nearly four years, and in 1862 began to practise
on his own account. His first work of any importance was Leyes Wood in Sussex, executed about 1866. This was followed by Preen Manor, a large house in Shropshire (plan exhibited in 1870) ; and Crayside, Northumberland, for Sir William G. Armstrong (exhibited in 1872). Mr. Shaw did a great deal of work for him from 1862 to 1874. Low- ther Lodge, and a red brick house for Mr. J. P. Heseltine in Queen's Gate, were executed about the same time. Among his other works are Pierrepont, near Famham ; Ad- cote, near Shrewsbury, perhaps the best of his works ; Greenham Lodge, near Newbury ; a large house called " Flete," near Ivybridge j and the Albert Hall Mansions," a great block of buildings near the Albert HaU. Mr. Shaw has also built seven large houses on the Chelsea Embankment, including "Cbeyne House," "Old Swan House," and "The Clock House;" and some houses in Cadogan Square. In the City he has built " New Zealand Chambers " in 1872 ; Messrs. Mar- tin's Bank in 1877; and a large addition to Messrs. Baring Brothers' offices in 1880. He was afterwards engaged in building an elaborate brick building for the Alliance As- surance Company, at the comer of Pall Mall and St. James' Street Mr. Shaw was elected an Associate of the Royal Academy in 1872, and a full member in 1878.
SHEDD, William Gbbenouoh Thatsr,D.D., LL.D., born at Acton, Massachusetts, June 21, 1820. He graduated at the University of Vermont in 1839, and at Andover Theological Seminary in 1843. He was pastor of the Congregational Church in Brandon, Vermont, 1844- 45 ; Professor of English Literature in the University of Vermont, 1845-52; Professor of Sacred Rhe- toric and Pastoral Theology in the Andover Theological Seminary, 1852-53 ; Professor of Ecclesiasticki History and Lecturer on Pastoral Theology in the same place, 1853-