pointed Oardinol Simooni Prefect of the Propa^fanda.
SIMMONS. William Henry. engraver, was born in London, June 11, 1811. While a pupil with Mossrs. Finden he obtained the 1 ir^e silver medal of the Society of Arts in 1833, for a finished en- ffiuvinp^ from an original design. His prmcipal works are : " The Im- pending Mate Mated," after F. Stone ; " The Proscribed Eovalist," and "Rosalind and Celia, after Millais ; " The Light of the World," after Holman Hunt ; " Broken Vows," after Calderon; "First and Second Class," " The Verdict and Acquittal," and others, after A. Solomon ; " Noah's Sacrifice," after MacUse ; " Mors Janua Vitas," after Paton ; " Luflf. Boy," after Hook ; "The Back Woods," "His Only Pair." " Daddy's Coming," " The Last of the Clan," "The Poor Man's Friend," and many others, after Faed ; " Both Puzzled," after Erskine Nicol; and "The Marriage of the Prince and Princess of Wales," after Frith ; " The Queen in the Highlands," after Landseer; " A wee bit Fractious," after Faed ; " The Sick Monkey," after Land- seer ; " Steady Johnny," " Sabbath Day," after Nichol.
SIMON, John, C.B., F.E.S., born in 1816, became an Honorary Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in ISU i Medical Officer of the Privy Council, Surgeon to St. Thomas's HospitaJ, and was the first ap- pointed Officer of Health to the City of London. He was also for some time Medical Adviser to the Privy Council. He is the author of several papers on Physiology, Pathology, and Surgery, and of reports and other official papers re- lating to the sanitary state of the people of England. The University of Munich, at its 400th anniversary in 1872, conferred upon him the honorary diploma of Doctor of Medicine " propter prflsclarissima de sanitate publioi tuend& atque augenda merita." He was nomi-
nated a Companion of the Bath in May, 1876. The University of Etl in burgh conferred on him the honorary degree of LL.D. in 1882.
SIMON, JuLKS, a French states- man, born at Lorient (Morbihan) Dec. 31, 1814. Th6 name given to him by his parents was Jules Fran- cois Simon Suisse, but he adopted the name of Simon, and has never been known by any other. He studied first at the little ooUege in Lorient, and at another similar one at Vannes, after which he en- tered, as an assistant teacher, the Lyc^ at Sennes. He remain^ at the Normal School for some time, was received as Fellow of Philo- sophy in 1835, and professed that science successively at Caen and Versailles. At the latter place he achieved a brilliant success. Victor Cousin, whose earnest disciple he was, called him to Paris, and se- cured for him a charge at the Nor- mal School in that city. For a time he was a supplementary lecr turer on the History of Philosophy, but a year after his arrival in Pans he became the principal lecturer. In 1839 he succeeded M. Cousin, at the request of the latter, in the philosophy course, and for twelve years had a brilliant career as one of the most promising University men in France. In 1845 he was made a Knight of the Legion of Honour. The next year he pre- sented himself to the electors of Lannion (Cdtes-du-Nord) as the candidate of the Constitutional Left, but he was defeated. In Dec. 1847, he founded at Paris, in con- junction with his University ool- lea^e, M. Am^^ Jacqnes, a pobtical and philosophical review called La Libert^ de Penter. M. Simon edited the political depart- ment of this publication. After the revolution of Feb. 1848. he wm elected to the Constituent Assemblj from the dei>artment of the Cdtet- du-Nord. He classed himself with the Moderate Left in the AasemUj* and was appointed a member <if