Rugby and Trinity College, Oxford; was elected Hertford University Scholar in 1846, Ireland University Scholar in 1847, Fellow of Brasenose College in 1848. He was appointed Rector of Tedstone Delamere, Herefordshire, in 1854; Pre-bendary of Hereford Cathedral, in 1870; Vicar of Great Malvern, in 1872; and Bampton Lecturer at Oxford, in 1872. He is the author of "Faith and Philosophy," 1867; "Epitome of the Life of Our Saviour," 1867; " The Silver Bells," 1869; "Fra Angelico and other Poems," 1871; and of articles on Monasticism in Dr. Smith's New Dictionary of Christian Antiquities.
SMITH, James Hicks, born in 1821, is the third son of the late Rev. Jeremiah Smith, D.D., High Master of the Manchester Grammar School, and Rector of St. Anne's, Manchester, and is the brother of the Rev. Isaac Gregory Smith. At seventeen years of age Mr. Smith went to India, and, after five years spent in Calcutta as book-keeper in a mercantile firm, he returned to England, and subsequently was called to the bar. He has published "Brewood, a résumé, Historical and Topographical," 1867; "Reminiscences of Forty Years," 1868; "The Parish in History, and in Church and State," 1871, second series, 1876; "Collegiate and other Ancient Manchester," 1877.
SMITH, The Rev. Joseph Denham, born at Romsey, Hants, about 1816, having been educated at the Dublin Theological Institution, entered the ministry of the Congregational Dissenters in 1837; became minister of the Congregational Church at Kingstown, near Dublin, in 1849, and took the lead in the Revivalist movement in that part of Ireland. He wrote "Oliver Cromwell; or, England Past and Present;" "The Rhine and the Reformation; or, Europe Past and Present," published in 1852;" Connemara, and an account of its Protestant Reformation," in 1853; "A Voice from the Alps; or, the Valleys of the Vaudois, with Scenes by way of Lands and Lakes historically associated," in 1854; "Win- nowed Grain; Selections from Ad- dresses," in 1862; and "Life Truths," in 1866. In 1863 a magnificent edifice for religious worship, entitled Merrion Hall, of which Mr. Smith is the principal minister, was opened in Dublin.
SMITH, The Right Hon. Sir Montagu Edward, eldest son of the late Mr. Thomas Smithy of Bideford, Devon, born in 1809, and educated at the Grammar-school at Bideford. was called to the bar at the Middle Temple in 1835, and was made a Queen's Counsel in 1852. He was one of the members in the Liberal Conservative interest for Truro from April, 1859, till Feb., 1865, when he was appointed Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, and received the honour of knighthood. In Nov., 1871, he was appointed to act as one of the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council under the provisions of the Act passed in the previous session. In Dec., 1877, he was appointed a member of "The Universities Committee of the Privy Council," in accordance with the provisions of "The Universities of Oxford and Cambridge Acts."
SMITH, Robert Angus, F.R.S., F.C.S., Ph. Doctor, born near Glasgow, Feb. 15, 1817, was educated at Glasgow and studied chemistry at Giesaen, under Liebig, from 1839 till 1841. Assisting Dr. Playfair, he laboured on the sanitary condition of towns in Lancashire, and whilst practising as a professional chemist, has written numerous papers relating to the condition of the air. His report to the British Association, in 1848, on the Air and Water of Towns, gave a great impulse to the question at that time, and a paper on the Air of Towns in the Chemical Society Journal of 1858, first produced data establishing the difference of the town and