aula J » sister of the late Lord Macaulay. He is author of books on the ** Education of the People of India," of an account of the Irish Famine, under the title of the
- • Irish Crisis,*' and of " Christianity
and Hinduism contrasted,** 1881.
TREVELYAN, The Right Hon. Georob Otto, M.P., born July 20, 1838, at Rothley Temple, Leicester- shire, is the only son of Sir Charles Edward Trevelyan, Bart., K.C.B., and Hannah More Macaulay, sister of Lord Macaulay. He was educated at Harrow School and Trinity Col- lege, Cambridge, where he was second in the first class in classics. He was] elected member for Tyne- mouth in the Liberal interest in 1865 ; and for the Border burghs in 18G8. Mr. Trevelyan was appointed Civil Lord of the Admiralty, in Mr. Gladstone's Government, in Dec, 1868, but resigned office in July, 1870, on a point of conscience con- nected with the Government Edu- cation Bill. He advocated a sweeping reform of the army, in- cluding the abolition of the purchase of commissions, both in and out of Parliament. Mr. Trevelyan suc- ceeded Mr. Shaw-Lefevre as Parlia- mentary Secretary to the Admiralty in Nov., 1880, and he held that office until his appointment, after the mur- der of Lord Frederick Cavendish, as Chief Secretary to the Lord-Lieu- tenant of Ireland (May 9, 1882). He wrote from India " Letters of a Competition Wallah," republished from Macmillan's Magazine in 1864 ; «' Cawnpore,** in 1865 j " The Ladies in Parliament, and other pieces,'* collected and published in 1869 ; "The Life and Letters of LordMacau- lay," 2 vols., 1876, 2nd edit., 1877 ; and " The Early History of Charles James Fox,** 1880.
TREVOR, The Rev. George, M.A., born in 1809, and educated at Magdalen Hall, Oxford, graduated S.C.L. in 1836, taking an honorary fourth class in classics, and has since proceeded B.A. and M.A. In 1874 he wasxjreated D.D. by diploma by
Trinity Colleoje, Hartford, Connec- ticut, U.S. He was a Chaplain on the Madras Establishment in the East Indies, from 1836 till iai5, and was appointed Rector of All Saints', York, in 1847, and a non- rosidontiary Canon of that cathe- dral, lie was Chaplain to the High Sheriff of Yorksliire the same year, and in 1850 his reputation as a preacher caused him to be elected one of the Chaplains of the parish church at Sheffield by the capital burgesses of that town. The Vicar's opposition to the choice of the laity occasioned proceedings in Chancery and in the Court of Queen's Bench, in which Canon Trevor was success- ful in establishing his right to the office and endowment, but we be- lieve he never officiated in the church, the dispute being at last compromised by the appointment of a curate. In 1868 Canon Trevor accepted from the Dean and Chap- ter of York the restored rectory of Burton Pidsea, in the liberty of St. Peter's, a village in Holdemess. In 1871 he was collated to the rec- tory of Beeford-with-Lisset, near Hidl. He is well known for the active part which he has taken in promoting the revival of the func- tions of the northern House of Convocation. He sat as Proctor for the Chapter of York in 1847, and was the first to move the election of a Prolocutor in order to proceed to business. He was afterwards re- turned by the clergy of the Arch- deaconry of York, and under Arch- bishop Longley, accepted the office of Actuary of the Lower House. Archbishop Thomson appointed him Synodal Secretary, which he re- signed in 1874, to stand as Proctor for the East Riding, in which he was twice defeated. Being elected by the unanimous vote of the Dean and Chapter of York in 1881, he was specially added to the Conference of the two Convocations on Church and State, and examined before the Royal Commission on the Ecclesiac- tical Courts. He supported Mr.