the City of London, born in 1803, was educated at Merchant Taylors' School, and at St. John's College, Oxford, of which he became a Fellow and Tutor. He graduated B.A. in high classical honours in 1855, and was one of the four resi- dent Tutors, who, in 1841, issued a joint protest and remonstrance to the editor of "Tracts for the Times," on account of their ten- dency to admit Roman doctrine in the interpretation of the Thirty- nine Articles. The Rev. H. B. Wilson was appointed successively by the University a Select Preacher, Public Examiner, Professor of Anglo-Saxon, and Bampton Lec- turer in 1851. He was preferred by his college, in 1850, to the Vicar- age of Great Staughton, Hants, where he has since resided. He has written several sermons and pamphlets on Church and Uni- versity questions, an essay on
- Schemes of Christian Comprehen-
sion," in the "Oxford Essays," published in 1857, and the "Na- tional Church," in "Essays and Reviews." In 1862 he was sen- tenced by the Judge of the Court of Arches to be suspended for one year from his benefice, on accoamt of certain alleged errors contained in his contribution to the last- named publication. This sentence was reversed on appeal to the Privy Council. Mr. Wilson published the argument delivered by him as "A Speech before the Judicial Committee of Her Majesty's Privy Council in Wilson v. Fendall," 1863.
WILSON, The Right Rev. Wil- liam Scott, D.D., was consecrated Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway in 1869.
WILTON, Miss Marie Effie. (See Bancbopt, Mbs.)
WINDHORST, LuDwio, the Parliamentary leader of the Catho- lic party in Prussia, was born Jan. 17, 1812. He attended the " Caro- linum" in Osnabriick, and con- tinued his studies at G5ttingen and
Heidelberg. He became an advo- cate, and then syndic and presiding member of the Consistory at Osna- briickj afterwards, "Ober-Appella- tionsrath " in Kalbe ; from 1863 to 1865 he was Minister of Justice at Hanover J and finally, he was nominated Chief Syndic of the Crown in Kalbe. From 1849 to 1866, he was a member of the As- sembly of the Estates of the Realm, and in 1851 President of the Second Chamber of the same. He became a member of the Constituent and the regular Reichstag; and since 1867 he has been a member of the Prussian House of Deputies.
WINMARLEIGH (Lord), The Right Hon. John Wilson-Patten, is the eldest son of the late Thomas Wilson-Patten, Esq., of Bank Hall, M.P., who assumed the additional surname of Wilson on succeeding to the estates of Dr. Wilson, Bishop of Sodor and Man. He was born in 1802, and received his education at Eton, together with the late Earls of Derby and Carlisle, Lord Halifax, the Right Hon. Spencer Walpole, and others who have taken a prominent part in public affairs. From Eton he proceeded to Mag- dalen College, Oxford, and on leaving the University he sx>ent three years on the Continent, visit- ing most of the countries of Eiux)pe. In 1830 he was elected without op- position one of the Knights of the Shire in the Conservative interest, for the whole coimty of Lancaster, as the colleague of Lord Stanley, afterwards fourteenth Earl of Derby. He voted for the second reading of the Reform Bill in 1831, but not having been able to pledge himself to all its details he retired at the general election of that year. However, he was re-elected in 1832 for the Northern Division of the county (comprising the present Northern and North-Eastem Di- visions) as the colleague of the late Earl of Derby (the fourteenth Earl) . He continued to be one of the re- presentatives of the old Northern