in Rugby school, and he held the head mastership of Wellington College from its first opening in 1858 down to 1872, when he was appointed a Canon Residentiary and Chancellor of Lincoln Cathedral, having been a Prebendary of the same cathedral for three years previously. He was a select preacher to the University of Cambridge (1864–71), and to the University of Oxford (1875–76). For several years he was Examining Chaplain to the Bishop of Lincoln. In Dec. 1876 he was nominated by the Crown, on the recommendation of the Earl of Beaconsfield, to the newly-founded Bishopric of Truro, and he received episcopal consecration in St. Paul's Cathedral, April 25, 1877. The diocese, which has been taken out of the diocese of Exeter, consists of the county of Cornwall, the Isles of Scilly, and five parishes of Devonshire, constituting the Archdeaconry of Cornwall; with the church of St. Mary, Truro, as a cathedral. During his occupation of the see he began the building of a new cathedral at Truro, of which the outward shell is to cost £90,000, most of that sum having been gathered through the energy of the Bishop. In Dec. 1882 Dr. Benson was appointed by the Crown, on Mr. Gladstone's recommendation, to the Archbishopric of Canterbury, in succession to Dr. Tait. Dr. Benson has published "Sermons preached in Wellington College Chapel," 1859; "Σαλπισει. A memorial Sermon preached after the death of J. P. Lee, first Bishop of Manchester," 1870; "Work, Friendship, Worship," being three sermons preached before the University of Cambridge in 1871; "Boy-Life, its trial, its strength, its fulness. Sundays in Wellington College, 1859–72," Lond. 8vo, 1874; "Singleheart," 1877; and "The Cathedral, its necessary place in the Life and Work of the Church," 1879; besides numerous single sermons; and he is one of the contributors to "The Speaker's Commentary on the Bible." Dr. Benson married, in 1859, Mary, daughter of the late Rev. William Sidgwick, of Skipton, Yorkshire.
BENTINCK, The Right Hon. George Augustus Frederick Cavendish, M.P., son of the late Major-General Lord Frederick Bentinck, C.B., was born in London in 1821, and educated at Westminster School, and at Trinity College, Cambridge (M.A., 1847). He was called to the bar, at Lincoln's Inn, in 1846. Mr. Bentinck unsuccessfully contested Taunton in April, 1859; but he was elected in the following August, and continued to represent that borough till July, 1865, when he was returned for Whitehaven. He was appointed Parliamentary Secretary to the Board of Trade in Feb., 1874. In Nov., 1875, he was appointed Judge-Advocate-General, and sworn of the Privy Council. He went out of office with his party in April, 1880.
BENTLEY, Robert, F.L.S., a botanist, who has more particularly directed attention to the applications of botany to medicine. He was born at Hitchin, Herts, in 1825, and became a member of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1847. He is Dean of the Medical Faculty, Honorary Fellow, and Professor of Botany in King's College, London; Honorary member of, and Professor of Materia Medica and Botany to the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain; Honorary member of the American Pharmaceutical Association; Professor of Botany in the London Institution; Examiner in Botany to the Boyal College of Veterinary Surgeons; Member of the Council, and Chairman of the Garden Committee of the Royal Botanic Society of London; and was formerly Lecturer on Botany at the Medical Colleges of the London, Middlesex, and St. Mary's Hospitals. Professor Bentley was President of the British Pharmaceutical Conferences in 1866 and