1867. He has contributed numerous articles to the Pharmaceutical Journal, of which for ten years he was one of the editors. He has written a "Manual of Botany," which has reached the fourth edition; has jointly edited two editions of Pereira's Materia Medica and Therapeutics; is the author of an elementary work on Botany, in the series of Manuals of Elementary Science, published by the Society for Promoting Christian Knowlodge; and has, in conjunction with Dr. Trimen, brought out an illustrated work on Medicinal Plants, in four volumes. Professor Bentley has also published a Series of Papers "On New American Remedies," a Lecture "On the Characters, Properties, and Uses of Eucalyptus globulus," "Lectures on the Organic Materia Medica of the British Pharmacopœia," and various other Lectures and Papers on Botany and Materia Medica.
BERESFORD, The Most Rev. and Right Hon. Marcus Gervais, D.D., Archbishop of Armagh, son of the late Bishop of Kilmore, who was a nephew of the first Marquis of Waterford, was born in 1801, and educated at Richmond School, Yorkshire, under Dr. Tate, whence he passed to Trinity College, Cambridge. Having graduated and taken orders, he was appointed Rector of Kildallen in 1825, afterwards held the vicariates of Drung and Lara, and was also Vicar-General of Kilmore and Archdeacon of Ardagh. In 1854 he was consecrated to the united sees of Kilmore, Elphin, and Ardagh, and in 1863 was translated to Armagh. His Grace is Primate of all Ireland, Lord Almoner of Ireland, and Prelate of the Order of St. Patrick. The see of Armagh is of the annual value of £14,500.
BERESFORD, Lord William Charles Delapoer, second son of the Rev. John Beresford, fourth Marquis of Waterford, by Christiana Julia, fourth daughter of the late Colonel Charles Powell Leslie, of Glaslough, co. Monaghan, was born Feb. 10, 1846, at Philiptown, co. Dublin. He entered the Royal Navy in 1859, was appointed a lieutenant in 1868, and advanced to the rank of commander in 1875. He served successively in the "Marlborough," the "Defence," the "Clio," the "Tribune," the "Luchez," the "Research," the Royal yacht "Victoria and Albert," and the "Galatea." In 1872 he was appointed Flag Lieutenant to the Commander-in-Chief at Devonport; and he accompanied the Prince of Wales as naval aide-de-camp to India in 1875–76. His lordship received the gold medals of the Royal Humane Society, and of the Liverpool Shipwreck and Humane Society, for having on three occasions jumped overboard and saved lives at sea. On one of these occasions, when he rescued a marine who had fallen overboard at Port Stanley, Falkland Island, he was attired in heavy shooting clothes, and his pockets were filled with cartridges. At the time of the bombardment of the forts of Alexandria, Lord Charles Beresford was in command of the gunboat "Condor," and in the action of July 11, 1882, he greatly distinguished himself by his gallant conduct. The ironclad, "Temeraire," which got ashore at the beginning of the engagement, was safely assisted off by the "Condor." Then the formidable Marabout batteries, which constituted the second strongest defence of the port of Alexandria, were effectually silenced. This latter success was chiefly due to the gallant way in which the "Condor" bore down on the fort and engaged guns immensely superior to her own. So vigorous, indeed, was the attack on the big fort, that the Admiral's ship signalled "Well done, 'Condor.'" It was ascertained that the Khedive, who had taken refuge with Dervish Pasha at Ramleh, was in imminent danger. Arabi Pasha had sent a