body of troops to guard the palace, and ordered them to kill the Khedive, but Tewfik and Dervish managed to bribe the men, and to communicate with Admiral Sir Beauchamp Seymour, who dispatched the "Condor" in shore to keep the Egyptian troops in check. The Khedive then succeeded in getting away, and drove to Ras-el-Tin. As the conflagration and looting continued in the city of Alexandria, the Americans were asked to land marines to assist in keeping order, and a regular police system was organized under Lord Charles Beresford, while Captain Fisher, of the "Inflexible," took command of the land forces. Strong measures were necessary to subdue the looters. Several of the scoundrels detected in the very act of setting fire to houses were summarily shot in the great square, and those caught plundering were flogged. Lord Charles Beresford was promoted to the rank of captain (Aug. 7, 1882) for the services he had rendered at the bombardment of Alexandria. His lordship sat in the House of Commons, as member for the county of Waterford, in the Conservative interest, from Feb., 1874, till April, 1880, when his candidature was unsuccessful. He is heir-presumptive to his brother, the present Marquis of Waterford. He married in 1878 Mina, eldest daughter of the late Mr. Richard Gardner.
BERGH, Henry, born in New York, in 1823. He graduated at Columbia College, studied law, and when quite young wrote several dramas, poems, and tales. In 1863 he was appointed Secretary of Legation at St. Petersburg, and was afterwards Vice-Consul. Returning to America in 1866, he organized the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, to which he has devoted his very considerable fortune, and which has grown to be an important institution, with branches in nearly every State of the Union. In the city of New York the officers of this Society are constituted special policemen with authority to arrest summarily any person who is found committing cruelty to animals.
BERGHAUS, Henry, geographer, born at Cleves, May 3, 1797, served as a volunteer in the army during the campaign of 1815, and at the end of the war, having obtained a situation as topographical engineer at Berlin, was engaged in the trigonometrical survey of Prussia. Through the influence of the Minister of War, he was in 1821 appointed to a post in the Berlin Academy of Architecture, and three years afterwards received the appointment of Professor of Applied Mathematics in the Berlin School of Civil Engineering, which he has since held. Berghaus has contributed to the improvement made in the construction of maps since the beginning of the present century, has written on a variety of geographical subjects, and has published a number of useful maps. He assisted the late Dr. Alexander Keith Johnston in the preparation of the "Physical Atlas."
BERKELEY, The Rev. Miles Joseph, F.R.S., M.A., born at Biggin, in the parish of Oundle, in 1803, was educated at Rugby and at Christ's College, Cambridge, where he graduated in honours in 1825, and after holding the curacy of Margate was appointed in 1833 to the incumbency of two small parishes near Wanaford, Northamptonshire, and rural dean for a portion of the deaneries of Oundle and Weldon. He was presented to the vicarage of Sibbertoft in 1868. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society, the Linnæan Society, Honorary Fellow of the Royal Horticultural Society of London, a member of the Academy of Sciences of Sweden, and the Academia Naturæ Curiosorum, Corresponding Member of the Agricultural Societies of Paris and Lille, and of the Societé de Biologie of Paris. He is the author of "Gleanings of British Algæ" (1833), and