cognised by Conservative Institutes as a classical composer. In fact he combines in himself the different styles, and may be claimed both by musical progressists and by classicists as belonging to them. Although Brahms attracted public notice in consequence of Schumann's recommendation, the recognition of his genius in wider circles dates only from the year 1868, when his "Deutschen Requiem" (Op. 45) was produced. His later works are "Rinaldo," a cantata; the "Schicksalslied " of Hölderlin; "Triumphlied," "Rhapsodie" from Goethe's "Hartzreise;" three string-quartets; two symphonies; a great number of songs, duets, choruses, concertos, motets, &c.
BRAMSTON, The Very Rev. John, B.D., some time Dean of Winchester, is the younger son of the late Mr. Thomas Gardiner Bramston, of Skreens, Essex. He was born in 1802, and educated at Winchester and Oriel College, Oxford, where he took his bachelor's degree in Michaelmas Term, 1823, obtaining a second-class in the School of Literæ Humaniores. He was shortly afterwards elected to a Fellowship at Exeter College; but this he vacated by his appointment in 1831 to the vicarage of Great Baddow, Essex, a living in private patronage, from which he was transferred by Bishop Blomfield, in 1840, to the vicarage of Witham, which he held until his appointment to the Deanery of Winchester in Oct., 1872. Mr. Bramston was formerly an honorary Canon of Rochester Cathedral, and for some time he sat in the Lower House of Convocation as one of the Proctors for the Diocese of Rochester. He resigned the Deanery of Winchester in 1883.
BRAMWELL (Lord), The Right Hon. Sir George William Wilshere, son of the late Mr. George Bramwell, banker, was born in London, in 1808. In early youth he was placed in his father's counting-house, where he acquired a practical knowledge of the business of banking, which in after years proved of great value to him. Having resolved to try the legal profession, he practised for some time as a pleader, and was, in 1838, called to the bar, and went the Home circuit. He gradually obtained a large business as a lawyer and pleader; in 1851 became a Queen's Counsel, and in 1852 was a member, with Sir J. Jervis, Sir A. Cockburn, Mr. Willes, and Mr. Baron Martin, of the Common Law Procedure Commission, which resulted in the Common Law Procedure Act of 1852. This gave great satisfaction, and Mr. Bramwell was, in 1856, made a Baron of the Exchequer, and received the honour of knighthood. In Oct., 1876, he was made a Judge of the intermediate Court of Appeal, and sworn of the Privy Council. He retired from the bench at the close of the year 1881, when a complimentary banquet, attended by the judges and the principal members of the legal profession, was held in his honour. In Feb., 1882, he was raised to the peerage by the title of Baron Bramwell, of Hever, in the county of Kent.
BRANCH, The Right Rev. Charles James, D.D., Bishop Coadjutor of Antigua, was born at Barbados in 1834; educated at Codrington College, Barbados. He was appointed Curate of St. Simon's, Barbados, in 1857; Rector of St. Andrew's, Grenada, in 1864; Rector of St. John's, St. Croix, in 1866; and Archdeacon of Antigua, in 1879. He was consecrated Bishop Coadjutor of Antigua, in the chapel of Lambeth Palace, July 25, 1882.
BRAND, The Right Hon. Sir Henry Bouverie William, G.C.B., M.P., Speaker of the House of Commons, is the second son of the 21st Baron Dacre, by the second daughter of the late Hon. and Very Rev. Maurice Crosbie, Dean of Limerick, and brother and heir presumptive to the present Baron.