his having held office under the Empire. M. Buffet took his seat in the Right Centre, and soon assumed an attitude of marked hostility towards M. Thiers. On April 4, 1873, he was elected President of the National Assembly in the place of M. Grévy, resigned; and he was re-elected to that office May 13, 1874. He was again elected, and for the last time, to the same office, March 1, 1875, although at that date he was officially engaged in the formation of a new cabinet to replace the Chabaud-Latour Ministry. On March 10, 1875, M. Buffet was appointed Vice-President of the Council, and Minister of the Interior. While holding this office he made himself extremely obnoxious to the Bepublican party. At the elections of Jan., 1876, he did not succeed in obtaining a seat in the Assembly, his candidature failing at Mirecourt, Bourges, Castelsarrasin, and Commercy. He therefore resigned the Vice-Presidency of the Council of Ministers. On June 16, 1876, the Senate elected him a Life Senator by 144 votes against 142.
BULLER, Colonel Sir Redvers Henry, V.C., K.C.M.G., C.B., son of the late Mr. James Wentworth Buller, M.P., of Downes, Crediton, Devonshire, was born in 1839, entered the 60th Rifles in 1858, and attained the rank of colonel in 1879. He served successively in China (1860), with the Red River expedition (1870), in the Ashantee war (1875), in the Kaffir war (1878), and in the war in Zululand (1878–9), where he greatly distinguished himself, and won the Victoria Cross. He was created a Knight Commander of the Order of SS. Michael and George in Nov., 1882, for the services he rendered as Head of the Intelligence Department in Egypt.
BULLOCK, The Rev. Charles, B.D., was born in 1829, and educated at St. Bee's College, Cumberland. He was ordained in 1855 to the curacy of Rotherham, Yorkshire. He removed, in 1856, to Ripley, near Harrogate, and afterwards held the sole charge of Christ Church, Luton, in Bedfordshire. In 1859 he became curate of St. Nicholas', Worcester, of which parish the late Canon Havergal was rector; and on his retirement, in 1860, Bishop Pepys appointed Mr. Bullock as his successor. He held this post for fourteen years, during which period the fine old church was restored, at a cost of more than £3000, and a rectory house built. In 1874 he removed to Blackheath, in order to devote himself to the dissemination of pure literature. In recognition of his services in this direction the Archbishop of Canterbury conferred on him the degree of B.D. The magazines edited by him are The Fireside (first published in 1864), Home Words, which in its localized form is known throughout the country, and The Day of Days, for Sunday reading. In 1876 he founded Hand and Heart, as a penny illustrated Church of England newspaper. Recently its title has been changed to The Church Standard, as more in keeping with its distinctive features. Hand and Heart still appearing as a monthly social and temperance paper. Mr. Bullock has written "The Way Home; or, the Gospel in the Parable," which has been translated into Norwegian; "England's Royal Home;" "The Home Life of the Prince Consort;" "Doubly Royal;" "What Church? or, The Only Faith and Fold;" "Words of Ministry;" "The Best Wish;" "Earthly Stories with Heavenly Meanings;" "The Syrian Leper;" "The Parents' Gift: a Help to Early Prayer and Praise;" "Heart Cheer for Home Sorrow;" "The Forgotten Truth;" "Hugh Stowell: a Life and its Lessons;" "The Sunday-School Gift;" "What do we owe Him?" "Can Nothing be Done?" "Within the Palace Gates;" and "Robin's Carol, and what came of it."