the Republicans of Massachusetts, and he has been repeatedly reelected until 1878. In 1871 and in 1873 he was an unsuccessful candidate for the Republican nomination for Governor of Massachusetts. In 1877 he left the Republican party to re-enter that of the Democrats, and was their candidate for Governor of Massachusetts in 1878 and 1879, but was defeated. Again their nominee in 1882, he was successful in the general Democratic victory of that year.
BUTLER, Mrs. Elizabeth Southerden, daughter of the late Mr. Thomas J. Thompson, by Christina, daughter of Mr. T. B. Weller, was born at Lausanne, in Switzerland. Her parents removed to Prestbury, near Cheltenham, where, at the age of five years, Miss Thompson first began to handle the pencil. After two or three years' sojourn at Prestbury, Mr. and Mrs. Thompson went to live in Italy, and the young artist continued her studies at Florence. In 1870 the family returned to England, and took up their abode at Ventnor, where they remained till the great success of Miss Thompson's picture of the "Roll Call" made a removal to London desirable. At one period she studied in the Government School of Art, Kensington. For some years she exhibited at the Dudley and other galleries. Her first picture at the Royal Academy was "Missing," 1873. It was followed in 1874 by the "Roll Call," a picture which attracted universal attention, and which was purchased by the Queen. "The 28th Regiment at Quatre Bras" was exhibited at the Academy in 1875; "Balaklava" in Bond Street in 1876; and "Inkermann" in Bond Street in 1877. More recently she has painted:—"'Listed for the Connaught Rangers: recruiting in Ireland," 1879; "The Defence of Rorke's Drift," 1881; "Floreat Etona!" 1882, an incident in the attack on Laing's Nek; and a picture representing the famous charge of the Scots Greys at Waterloo (1882). Miss Thompson became the wife of Major William Francis Butler, C.B., June 11, 1877.
BUTLER, The Rev. George, M.A., is the eldest son of the late Rev. George Butler, head master of Harrow School and afterwards Dean of Peterborough, and brother of the Rev. Dr. Butler, the present head master of Harrow. He was born in 1820, and educated at Harrow and at Trinity College, Cambridge, but migrated thence to Oxford, and entered at Exeter College, where he obtained the Hertford University Scholarship, in 1841. He was subsequently elected to a Fellowship at his college and took his Bachelor's degree as a first-class in classics in 1843, proceeding M.A. in 1846. He was ordained deacon in 1854 and priest in the following year, by Dr. Wilberforce, Bishop of Oxford. He was formerly Vice-Principal of Cheltenham College, and was Principal of Liverpool College from 1867 to 1882. Mr. Butler was Public Examiner in the University of Oxford in 1852, Classical Examiner to the Secretary of State for War in 1855, and Examiner for the East India Company's Civil Service in 1856. In June, 1882, Mr. Gladstone conferred on him a canonry of Winchester which had become vacant by the elevation of the Rev. Ernest Wilberforce to the bishopric of Newcastle. Mr. Butler is the author or editor of the following works:—"Principles of Imitative Art," 1852; "Descriptio Antiqui Codicis Virgiliani," privately printed 1854; "Essay on the Raphael Drawings in the University Galleries," contributed to the "Oxford Essays," 1856; "Cheltenham College Sermons," 1862; "Family Prayers," 1862; "The Public Schools Atlas of Modern Geography," 1871; and "The Public Schools Atlas of Ancient Geography," 1876.
BUTLER, The Rev. Henry