Montagu, Head Master of Harrow School, youngest son of the late Rev. George Butler, D.D., Head Master of Harrow, and afterwards Dean of Peterborough, was born in 1833, and educated at Harrow, under Dr. Vaughan, and at Trinity College, Cambridge. He was elected Bell University Scholar in 1852, and Battie University Scholar in 1853. In 1853 he won Sir W. Browne's medal for the Greek ode, and in 1854 the Porson Prize, the Greek ode, the Camden medal for Latin Hexameters, and the Members' Prize for a Latin essay. In 1855 he graduated B.A. as Senior Classic, and in the same year was elected Fellow of his college. On the retirement of Dr. Vaughan, at Christmas, 1859, he was elected to the head mastership of the school, over which his father had presided for twenty-four years, from 1805 to 1829. He was honorary chaplain to the Queen, 1875–77; chaplain in ordinary, 1877; prebendary of St. Paul's and examining chaplain to the Archbishop of Canterbury, 1879. He has been several times select preacher at the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge. He published in 1861 and in 1869 volumes of "Sermons preached in the Chapel of Harrow School."
BUTLER, Major William Francis, C.B., was born in the county of Tipperary, Ireland, in 1838, and educated at Dublin. He was appointed Ensign of the 69th Regiment, Sept. 17, 1858; Lieutenant, Nov., 1863; Captain, 1872; Major, 1874; and Deputy-Adjutant-Quarter-Master-General, Head Quarter-Staff, 1876. Major Butler served on the Red River Expedition; was sent on a special mission to the Saskatchewan Territories in 1870–71; and served on the Ashanti Expedition in 1873, in command of the West Akim native forces. He was several times mentioned in despatches of Sir Garnet Wolseley, and in the House of Lords by the Field-Marshal Commanding-in-Chief. He was appointed a Companion of the Bath in 1874. In Feb., 1879, he was despatched to Natal to assume the responsible post of Staff Officer at the port of disembarcation. Major Butler is the author of "The Great Lone Land," 1872; "The Wild North Land," 1873; "Akimfoo," 1875; and "Far out: Rovings retold," 1880. He married, June 11, 1877, at the church of the Servite Fathers, Fulham Road, London, Miss Elizabeth Thompson, the painter.
BUTT, The Hon. Charles Parker, was called to the bar at Lincoln's Inn in 1854, and joined the Northern circuit. He obtained a silk gown in 1868. He unsuccessfully contested Tamworth in Feb., 1874, and sat for Southampton, in the Liberal interest, from April, 1880, till March, 1883, when he was appointed to the judgeship in the Admiralty division of the High Court of Justice, vacant by the resignation of Sir Robert Phillimore.
BUTTERFIELD, William, architect, was born Sept. 7, 1814. Having been brought up as an architect, he devoted himself more especially to a scientific study of the various Gothic styles, into which, since entering on his profession, he has imported variety by the use of coloured stone, brick, and marble, both in churches and domestic buildings. His chief works are St. Augustine's College, Canterbury; All Saints' Church and Schools, Margaret Street, London; Baldersby Church, Yorkshire; Yealmpton Church, Devonshire; the new chapel at Balliol College, Oxford; St. Alban's Church, Baldwin's Gardens, Gray's Inn Lane; Winchester County Hospital; Winchester and Rugby School Buildings; and Keble College, Oxford.
BYLES, The Right Hon. Sir John Barnard, son of the late Mr. John Byles, of Stowmarket, Suffolk, born in 1801, and called to the bar at the Inner Temple in 1831; went