ship, and for a time held the port- folio of Minister of Militia. Since that period he has acted as leader of the Government side in the Senate, and in 1881 he exchanged the portfolio of Minister of Militia for that of Minister of Justice. On the 2i,th of May, 1879, he was created a K.C.M.G.
CAMPBELL, Sib Geobgb, M.P., K.C.S.I., D.C.L., eldest son of the late Sir George Campbell, of Eden- wood, elder brother of the first Lord Campbell, was born in 1824. He entered the Civil Service of India in 1842, and at the age of twent j-two he was already in charge of an important district in tlmt distant dependency. From- the manner in which he discharged his duties, his name was mentioned with especial praise by Lord Dal- housie, the Governor-General. Soon after this Mr. Campbell returned home, studied law, and was called to the bar at the Inner Temple in 1854. While here he published " Modern India," 1852, dedicated to his uncle, then Lord Chief Jus- tice of England, and " India as it May Be,*' 1853. He was Associate of the Court of .Queen's Bench from 1851 to 185^1, but in the latter year he returned to India, where he was employed for some years in the administration of the country as Commissioner of the Cis-Sutlej States, Commissioner of the Cus- toms and Excise, and Civil Com- missioner with the troops which occupied the North-West Provinces after the Mutiny. In 1858 Mr. Campbell was appointed Judicial and Financial Commissioner in Oude. He was afterwards for some years a Judge of the High Court of Judicature of Calcutta, and was employed as head of the Commis- sion to inquire into the famine in Orissa. In 1867 he was nominated Chief Commissioner of the central provinces of India, but returning to Scotland in 1868, he became a candidate for Dumbartonshire in July, in the Liberal interest, but
retired from his canditature before the general election. The next year he directed attention to Irish Land tenure, by publishing a book on the subject. In Jan., 1871, he again went to India as Lieutenant-Go- vernor of Bengal, but returned home early in 1874 to become a member of the Council of India, which again he resigned in 1875, when he was elected M.P. for the Kirkcaldy burghs. In 1873 he had been created a Knight Commander of the Star of India. Sir George presided over the Economy and Trade Department at the Social Science Congress held at Glasgow in Oct., 1874. He took an active part in the agitation on the Eastern Question in 1876, as a supporter of tie policy advocated by Mr. Glad- stone, and published a " Handy Book of the Eastern Question: being a very recent View of Tur- key,^ 1876.
CAMPBELL, The Rioht Ekv. James Colquhoun, D.D., Bishop of Bangor, son of the late Mr. John Campbell, of Stonefield, Argyle- shire, by Wilhelmina, daughter of the late Sir James Colquhoun, Bart., of Luss, Dumbartonshire, was born at Stonefield in 1813. Having gra- duated in honours at Trinity Col- lege, Cambridge (B.A. 1836 j M.A. 1839; D.D. 1859), he was appointed successively Yicar of Boath, Gla- morganshire (1839); Bector of the populous town of Merthyr Tydvil, Glamorganshire (1844), honorary canon of Llandaff (1855), and Arch- deacon of Llandaff (1857). He was nominated by Lord Derby to the see of Bangor, on the deau) of Dr. Bethell, in April, 1859. Dr. Camp- bell is the autiiorof several charges and occasional sermons. He mar- ried, in 1840, Blanche (who died 1873), daughter of John Bruce Pryce, Esq., of Duffryn, Glamor- ganshire, and has issue.
CAMPBELL - BANNEBMAN, Henbt, M.P., is the second son of the late Sir James Campbell, of Stracathro, Forfarshire, by Janet,