Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society; Vice-President of the Royal Society of Literature, and Juridical Society; and was formerly Hon. Secretary of the Highland Society of London. He is at present head of the family whose name he bears.
COLUMBIA, Bishop of. (See Hills, Dr.)
COLVIN, Sir Auckland, K.C.M.G., son of the late Hon. John Russell Colvin, Lieut.-Governor of the North West Provinces of India, by Emma Sophia Colvin, daughter of the Rev. W. Sneyd, was born at Kurnál, in the Punjáb, India, March 8, 1838. He was educated at Eton, and at Haileybury College, and entered the Indian Civil Service in 1858. He became in succession Under-Secretary to the Government of India, Home and Foreign Departments; Secretary to the North West Provinces Revenue Board; Secretary to the Government of the North West Provinces. He was a member of the International Commission of Egyptian Liquidation in 1880, and was appointed English Controller-General in Egypt the same year. In 1881 he was created a Knight Commander of the Order of SS. Michael and George. Sir Auckland Colvin took a prominent part in assisting and advising the Khedive on the occasion of Arabi Pasha's military demonstration on Sept. 9, 1881; and in July, 1883, he received the thanks of Her Majesty's Government for his services prior and subsequent to that event. After the abolition of the Dual Control (Jan., 1883), he became Financial Adviser to the Khedive. He has received the grand cordon of the Order of the Medjidie and the Third Class of the Order of the Osmanieh.
COLVIN, Sidney, M.A., was born at Norwood, Surrey, June 18, 1845. His father is Mr. D. D. Colvin, of the house of Crawford, Colvin, and Co., East India Agents, and the residence of the family is at Little Bealings, Woodbridge, Suffolk. Mr. Colvin was educated at home and at Trinity College, Cambridge, where he was Chancellor's English Medallist in 1865, and where he graduated, as third in the first class of the Classical Tripos in 1867. He was elected a Fellow of Trinity College in 1869; Slade Professor of Fme Arts, 1873 (re-elected 1876, 1879, and 1882); and was appointed Director of the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, in 1876. He is a member of the German Archæological Institute. Since 1867 he has been a frequent contributor, chiefly as a critic and historian of art, to the Fortnightly Review, Cornhill Magazine, Pall Mall Gazette, and other periodicals. He is the author of "Children in Italian and English Design," 1872; "Albert Durer, his Teachers, his Rivals, and his Followers;" and "Landor" in the "English Men of Letters," series 1882. He has also edited "Selections from the Writings of Walter Savage Landor," 1882.
COMMERELL, Vice-Admiral Sir John Edmund, K.C.B., V.C., second son of Mr. John W. Commerell, of Stroud Park, Horsham, Sussex, by Sophia, daughter of Mr. William Bosanquet, of Harley Street, London, was born in London in 1829. Entering the Royal Navy in 1842, he became Lieutenant in 1848, Commander in 1855, Captain in 1859, Rear-Admiral in 1877, and Vice-Admiral in 1881. He served in China and South America, and was present at all the operations in the Parana (1845–46), especially at Punta Obligado, where he assisted in cutting the chain that defended the river. Afterwards he served in the Baltic and the Gulf of Bothnia (1854), and as Lieutenant of H.M.S. Weser was present at Sebastopol, and in several operations in the Sea of Azof; he was twice mentioned in despatches, and received the Victoria Cross for hazardous service in the Putrid Sea. He commanded H.M.S. Fury in 1859, and in July of that year he