the curacies of Christ Church, Dover (1860-61), and of St. Mary's, Marylebone (1861-63), he was appointed in 1863 vicar of St. Luke's Church, Edgware Boad, and he held the rectory of Frant, Sussex, from 1868 to 1871, and the vicarage of St. Michael, Chester Square, from 1871 to 1873. In the latter year he was appointed to the important vicarage of Sheffield, and he was made Rural Dean of Sheffield in the following year. He was also a Canon of York Cathedral (1876), and Chaplain to the Marquis of Abergavenny. In 1877 he was presented by the Crown, on the recommendation of the Earl of Beaconsfield, to the See of Sodor and Man, in succession to the late Bishop Powys; and he was consecrated on Aug. 24) in York Minster. In religious opinions Bishop Hill is a moderate Evangelical. He is the author of "Sunday Lessons" on "The Collects," "The Gospels," "The Church Catechism," and "The Titles of our Lord" and of various sermons and tracts. He married in 1863 Caroline Maud, second daughter of Capt. Alfred Chapman, R.N., of Eton Place.
HILLS, The Right Rev. George, D.D., Bishop of Columbia, eldest son of the late Bear- Admiral George Hills, was born at Eyethorn, Kent, in 1816. He was ordained deacon in 1827, and priest in 1829. His academical education he received in the University of Durham, where he graduated B.A. in 1835, M.A. in 1838, and D.D. in 1858. He was appointed lecturer of Leeds parish church in 1841; incumbent of St. Mary's, Leeds, in 1846; vicar of Great Yarmouth in 1848; and honorary canon of Norwich Cathedral in 1850. He was also elected proctor for Norwich in Convocation, and was chaplain to the union and gaol of Great Yarmouth until he was consecrated the first Bishop of British Columbia in 1859. He married in 1865 Mary Philadelphia Louisa, eldest daughter of the late Admiral Sir Richard King, Bart., K.C.B.
HINCKS, Sir Francis, K.C.M.G., C.B., a native of Cork, brother of the late Rev. E. Hincks, the archaeologist, was born at Cork, in 1807, and after receiving his education at the Royal Belfast Institution, settled in Canada, where he became a member of the Provincial Parliament. A strenuous advocate of "responsible government," he maintained, in opposition "to what had been previously the recognized theory, that the Governor of Canada should govern through ministers possessing the confidence of the Provincial Parliament, and responsible to it. After a long struggle the complete recognition of this principle was obtained from the Home Government. Soon after he became Prime Minister, and held this office for some years under the late Lord Elgin. On ceasing to command a majority in Parliament, he retired. He was appointed Governor of Barbadoes in 1855, and was Governor of British Guiana from 1862 to 1869, when he retired, and was made a Knight Commander of th6 Order of St. Michael and St. George. On October 11, 1869, he was sworn in as Finance Minister of the Dominion of Canada, in the place of the Hon. John Bose, resigned, and held that office till 1873, when he retired from public life.
HIND, John Russell, F.R.S., astronomer, was the son of a lace-manufacturer, who was one of the first introducers of the Jacquard loom into Nottingham. He was born there May 12, 1823. From the age of six his mind was intent on the study of astronomy. In 1839-40 he contributed a number of astronomical notes to the Nottingham Journal and Dearden's Miscellany. As an assistant to a civil engineer, he was sent, in 1840, to London, but he sought an appointment more in accordance with his tastes. By the proposition of Professor Wheat-