Bcherlich^ where he established the new Berlin laboratory. The dis- tinguished Professor is a member of the Imperial Academy of Sciences of Berlin, a corresponding member of the French Academy, of the Academies of St.Petersburg, Vienna, Amsterdam, and Bavaria. He is also a Fellow of the Royal Society of London, and of other learned bodies. Professor Hofmann is M.D. of the University of Bonn, and LL.B. of Aberdeen and Cam- bridge. He is a Chevalier of the Prussian Order of the Crown, an Officer of the French Legion of Honour, a Knight of the Italian Order of SS. Maurice and Lazarus, a Knight-Commander of the Austrian Order of Francis Joseph, and of the Order of the Italian Crown. Dr. Hofmann has written a large number of chemical monographs, especially in the department of organic chemistry, and reports re&ting to the api^at Industrial Exhibitions. He has also written the well-known "Introduction to the Study of Modern Chemistry.'* In 1875 the Eoyal Society of Lon- don awarded the Copley Medal to him for his numerous contributions to the science of chemistry.
hogg, llkutbn an t-colonel Sib Jamis Macnaohten McGarel, Bart., was born at Calcutta in 1823. He is the eldest son of the late Bight Hon. Sir James Weir Hogg, for- merly Member of Council for India, who for many years represented Beverley and Honiton in Parlia- ment. The present baronet was educated at Eton, and at Christ Church, Oxford. He joined the Ist Life Guards in 1843, and be- came Major and Lieutenant-Colonel in 1855. He left the army in 1859, having two years previously -mar- ried the eldest daughter of die first Lord Penrhyn. In politics Sir James Hogg is a Conservative. He repre- sented Bath from 1865 to 1868; and has sat for Truro from 1871 to the present time. On the assem- bling of Parliament in Nov., 1867,
Sir James (then Colonel) Hog^ was selected to second the address. On the death of Sir John Thwaites in the autumn of 1870, Sir James Hogg, who had been a member of the Metropolitan Board of Works since 1867, was selected by his colleagues for the onerous office of chairman of that body, a position to which he has since been annually re-elected. Sir James had previously been connected for many years with local administration, having been a member of the St. Margaret and St. John Vestry» the Westminster District Board of Works, and sub- sequently of the Guardian Board and Vestry of St. George, Hanover Square, which latter body he repre- sented at the Metropolitan Board. On the completion and opening of the Chelsea Embankment in May, 1874, Sir James Hogg was created a K.C.B., and he succeeded to the baronetcy on the death of his father. May 27, 1876. Sir James assumed the prefix of McGarel to his surname by royal licence in 1877, on succeeding to the Antrim estates of the late Charles McGarel, Esq., of Magheramome.
HOGG, EoBEBT.^ LL.D., F.L.S., bom at Dunse, North Britain, in 1818, was educated at a private school in his native town and at Edinburgh. Dr. Hogg has all through life been enga^d in hor- ticultural and botanical pursuits, and is best known by his works on the former subject, and the active part he has taken in promoting all objects tending to the advancement of horticulture. In conjunction with Sir Joseph Paxton and the late Mr. Rivers, he founded, in 1854, the British Pomologioal So- ciety, which ultimately became the Fruit Committee of the Eoyal Hor- ticultural Society. He was one of the promoters and general secretary of the Great International Hor- ticiQtural Exhibition held at South Kensington in 1866; was reporter on classes 71 and 86, at the Paris Universal Exhibition of 1867, and