part of which was then besieging Antwerp. He repaired to Paris in 1832, and for the next four years was doomed to contend against poverty. In 1836 he published his first work, the '^Couronne de Bluets/' a romance; in 1838 he became connected with the Revue de Paris, in which he commenced the publication of his "Men and Women of the Eighteenth Cen- tury," afterwards collected in two volumes ; and in 1846 he published his "History of Dutch and Flemish Painting." On the accession of liouis Napoleon, Houssaye was ap- pointed to the direction of the Theatre Fran^ais, then at a very low ebb, into which he infused new life, and having in 1856 resigned the directorship, was succeeded by M. Empis. Among his latest works are "L'Histoire du Quarante-et- uni^me Fauteuil de TAcademie PraiKjaise," 1855; " Le Roi Vol- taire," 1858 ; " Histoire de 1' Art Frauijais," I860; "Mademoiselle Cleopatre," "Blanche et Margue- rite," 1864; "Le Repentir de Marion," "Le Roman de la Du- chesse," '^'Les L^gendes de la Jeunesse," and "Notre Dame de Thermidor," a history of Madame Tallien, in 1865 ; four romances, under the general title of "Nos Grandes Dames," 1868; another series under the title of "Parisi- ennes," 1869; "Tragique Aven- ture de Bal Masqu6," 1873 ; " La Belle Rafaella," "Les Mains Pleines de Roses, Pleines d'Or, et Pleines de Sang," " Le Roman des Femmes qui ont. aim^. Par Madame la Princesse * * * Comments par Ars^ne Houssaye," 1874; "Lucie, Histoire d'une FiUe Perdue," 1875; and "Histoire !6trange d'une Fille du Monde," 1876; " Alice," "Bianca," "Mademoiselle Phryne," "Les Trois Duchesses," 1877 " Les Charmeres«es," " Les Larmes de Jeanne," 1878 ; and "La Robe de la Marine," 1879. He was decorated with the Legion of Honour, May 6, 1816, and pro-
moted Orand Officer, July 30, 1858.
HOVENDEN, Thomas, figure- painter, born at Dunmanway, co. Cork, Ireland, Dec. 28, 1840. His first art education was at the Government Art School in Cork. Going to America in 1863, he con- tinued his studies in the National Academy of Design. He went to Paris in 1874, and remained there till 1880, when he returned to New York, where he has opened a studio. His principal paintings are : " The Two Lilies," "A Brittany Woman Spinning," " Pleasant News," "Thinku^ of Somebody," "News from the Conscript," " Pride of the Old Folks," "Loyalist Peasant Sol- dier of La Vendee," "The Image Seller," "A Breton Interior," "In Hoc Signo Vinces," and " Elaine." In 1881 he was made an A.N. A., and member of Water Colour Society. In 1882 he was made an N.A.
HOW, The Right Rev. William Walsham, D.D., Bishop Suffragan of Bedford (for East London), is son of Mr. William Wybergh How, Esq., of Shrewsbury, and was born in that town, Dec. 13, 1823. From Shrewsbury school he proceeded to Wadham College, Oxford (B.A., third-class in classics, 1845 ; M.A., 1847). He was successively curate of St. George's, Kidderminster, 1846, and of Holy Cross, Shrews- bury, 1848, and was collated to the rectory of Whittington, Shropshire, in the diocese of St. Asaph, in 1851. In 1853 he was appointed rural dean of Oswestry and diocesan in- spector of schools ; in 1860 he ob- tained an honorary canonry in St. Asaph's Cathedral, and in 1869 was elected Proctor in Convocation for the diocese. He was one of the Select Preachers at Oxford in 1868-69, and in 1878 he was ap- pointed examining chaplain to the Bishop of Lichfield. In 1879 he obtained the rectory of St. Andrew Undershaft with St. Mary Axe, ir the city of London, and a Prebe^