the Irish Census, with a special Beference to the Church in Ire- land," in 1864. In 1867 he was sent on a surveying tonr by the South American Missionary Society, and explored the west coast, especi- ally in Peru and Chili. He is the author of two pamphlets, respect- ively on the moral condition and commercial prospects of that country, and of a third on some of its curious antiquities. In 1869 he was awarded the Cunningham prize by the Royal Irish Academy, for a valuable essay on the Irish Dialect, accompanied *by a large glossary of words and phrases. In 1874 he was appointed to an hono- rary canonry in Chester Cathedral. He was one of those who contended for years that Liverpool should have a Bishop ; and acting as Secretary of the Committee, he published four pamphlets on the subject. One of these was a " Detailed Ac- count of how Liverpool became a Diocese," and another, " Growth of the Episcopate during 1700 Years." In 1881, he conducted a "Creed Census " of the whole diocese, ob- taining replies from the people with readiness ; and in 1882, when a Census of Religious Worship for the Diocese was taken in all the churches, it was tabulated and re- duced to order by Canon Hume. He has also written an " Ecclesi- astical History of Liverpool," which was published in the first number of the "Diocesan Ca- lendar."
HUME, Hamilton, born June 18, 1797, at Paramatta, New South Wales, in Aug. 1814, when only seventeen years of age discovered the now populous district of Ber- rima. In 1824 he led a party across the Blue Mountains, and, accompanied by Mr. Hovell, accom- plished the first overland journey from New South Wales to what is now known as Victoria, crossing and giving his name to the Hume river, the principal tributary of the Murray. In 1826 he accompanied
Sturt on his first exploring expedi- tion, and his services in guiding the party in unknown districts were gratefully recognised by the Go- vernment and by Sturt himself. In July, 1858, a marble column in his honour was erected, by public subscription, on the northern bank of the river Hume, near the town of Albury, 2000 miles from the sea. In 1858 the river was navigated by ten steamers and as many barges ; and in the third year of its naviga- tion the value of the merchandise transported was upwards of a mil- lion sterling. Some difference of opinion having occtured, as to the precedency of Mr. Hume or Mr. Hovell in the exploration of 1826, the former gentleman published, in 1855, " A Brief Statement of Facts in connection with an Overland Expedition from Lake George to Port Philip, in the year 1824." A township and electond district were named after him, also a beautiful bridge erected over the Yass. Though never in England, he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society on the re- commendation of two of its coun- cil, and he is a Colonial Magistrate for the district of Yass, near which hs r6sidps
HUMPHREY, The Rbv. Wil- liam S. J., son of John Humphrey, Esq., J.P., of Pitmedden, Aberdeen- shire, was born at Aberdeen, July 31, 1839. He was educated at Marischal College, Aberdeen, and is a member of the General Council of the University of Aberdeen. He studied law at the University of Edinburgh ; was ordained a clergy- man of the Church of England by Dr. Forbes, Bishop of Brechin, and held the living of St Mary Mag- dalene, Dundee. He be^me a Catholic in March, 1868, and went to Rome, where he made his theo- logical studies at the CoUegio Romano. He was ordained priest by Cardinal Manning, in 1871, and served on the mission in London till 1874, when he entered the