cestershire, from 1864 to 1874^ when lie became Vicar of Little Heref ord^ near Tenbury. Being nominated by the Crown to the see of New- foundland, he was consecrated in St. Paul's Cathedral, May 1, 1878.
JONES, MoBBis Chablss, F.S. A., was born in Montgomeryshie, May 9, 1819, and educated at Bruce Castle School, Tottenham. He is the author of numerous genealogi- cal and antiquarian articles and priyately printed pamphlets, and of "The Abbey of Valle Crucis: its Origin and Foundation Charter," 1866; and The Feudal Barons of Powys," 1868. He is the founder and chief supporter of the Powysland Club, an archaeological society for Montgomeryshire, and also of the Powyshmd Museum and Library connected therewith. He has devoted much time to the illus- tration of the archaeology and his- tory of his native coimty, and since 1867 has been the editor of " The Montgomeryshire Collections," is- sued by the Powysland Club, which contain elaborate and useful con- tributions to local topography and history, and afford complete and extensive materials for the history of the county of Montgomery. In 1876 his archaeological services were acknowledged by a testimonial raised by. public subscriptions, which were devoted chiefly to the purchase of a fine life-size bronze grroup, representing a scene in Welsh history, which, at his re- quest, was placed in the Powys- land Museum.
JONES, Thomas Whabton, F.B.S., physiologist, son of the late Bichard Jones, Esq., of Her Ma- jesty's Customs for Scotland, born at St. Andrews in 1808, was edu- cated at the University of Edin- burgh, and afterwards visited the principal continental universities. Descended out of Shropshire, Buck- inghamshire, and Essex, he settled in London (his father's native place) in 1838, and entered upon the practice of his profession. He
is a Fellow of the Koyal College of Surgeons, and has been Lecher on Physiology at the Charing-Cross Hospital, Fullerian Professor of Physiology in the Eoyal Institution of Great BritaiUi and Professor of Ophthalmic Medicine and Surgery in University College, London, and (^hthalmic Surgeon to the Hos- pital. He has now retired and taken up his residence at Yentnor, I. W. He has written a treatise on the Principles and Practice of Ophthalmic Medicine and Surgery j the Astley Cooper Prize Essay on Inflammation (1850) ; the Actonian Prize Essay on the Wisdom and Beneficence of the Almighty as displayed in the Sense of Vision (1851) ; "The Physiology and Phi- losophy of Body, Sense, and Mind," and "Failure of Sight from Bail- way and other Injuries of the Spine and Head; its Nature and Treat- ment" (1869). He is the author of various physiological discoveries, recorded in the Philosophical Transactions and elsewhere : in particular, the facts discovered by Mr. Wharton Jones relating to the mechanism of the extreme vessels and the course of the blood in them have greatly elucidated the phe- nomena of the inflammatory pro- cess — a subject in regard to which extraordinary errors are still cur- rent. He is a Foreign Member of the Medical Societies of Vienna and Copenhagen, and of the Soci^t6 de Biologic of Paris. Mr. Wharton Jones edited for the Camden So- ciety, in 1872, the Life and Death of his ancestral kinsman. Bishop Bedell, of Kilmore, who perished in the Irish Bebellion of 1641 ; and in 1876 published a volume showing the Darwinian doctrine of evolu- tion to be unsanctioned by science. JONES, The Right Rev. Wil- liam Basil Tickell, D.D., Bishop of St. David's, the eldest son of the late William Tilsey Jones, Esq., of Gwynfryn, Cardiganshire, by Jane, daughter of the late Henry Tickell, Esq., of Leytonstone, Essex,
T T 2