and was created a Knight of the Order of the Falcon by the Grand Buke of Saxe-Weimar. His por- trait> painted by himself at the request of the Director of Public GsJleries in Florence, is placed in the Galleria degli TJffizi of that city, in the room set apart for por- traits of distingui^ed artists painted by themsSves. Mr. Leh- mann's chief pictures are: — " 8ix- tus y. blessing the Pontine Marshes," bought by the French Government for the Museum in Lille; a "Madonna," and a "St. Sebastian," ordered by the French Government for two churches in France; " Early Dawn in the Pon- tine Marshes; " numerous pictures of modern L^e and costume in Italy; numerous portraits of dis- tinguished persons in England; and a collection of pencil sketches, portraits of distinguished contem- poraries, with their autographs (100 in number), 12 of them published by Messrs. Bruckmann & Co.
LEIDY, JosBPH, M.D., LL.D., bom in Philadelphia, Sept. 9, 1823. He gpraduated M.D. in the Univer- sity of Pennsylvania in 1844, and commenced the practice of his pro- fession, but soon devoted himself to scientific pursuits. From 1846 to 1852 he gave private courses of lectures on anatomy and physiology. In 1846 he was made Chairman of the Curators of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia; in 1853 Professor of Anatomy in the University of Pennsylvania; and in 1871 Professor of Natural Histoiy in Swarthmore College, all of which positions he still holds. He is also now President of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. During the civil war he served as surgeon in Satter- lee Hospital, Philadelphia. He has furnished more than 800 con- tributions to scientific periodicals. Among his more important works are: "Flora and Fauna within Living Animals," 1853; "The Ex- tinct Mammalian Fauna of Dakota
and Nebraska," with 30 plates, 1870; and "Contributions to the Extinct Vertebrate Fauna of the Western Territories," with 37 plates, 1873.
LEIGHTON, Sir Fbedebick, P.E.A., was born at Scarborough, Dec. 3, 1830, and from childhood evinced a strong passion for paint- ing. This his parents encouraged, as they gave him every opportunity for gratifying it. They opposed, however, for some years, his desire to study art with a view of making it a profession. His first systematic instructions in drawing were re- ceived at Bome in the winter of 1842-48 from a painter named Filippo Meli. In 1843-44 he en- tered, as a student, the Eoyal Academy of Berlin. Then followed a comparative withdrawal from art for a year, during which the em- bryo painter was receiving his general education at a school at Frankfort-on-the-Maine. The win- ter of 1845-46 was spent in Flo- rence; and here it was that the father at last yielded to the son's desire to embrace painting as a pro- fession. Some drawings of tiie young student were submitted to the celebrated American sculptor, Hiram Powers, and the father pro- mised that his decision should depend on the results of his inter- view with the sculptor. The esti- mate formed by Powers of the drawings being highly favourable, the youthful Leighton was per- mitted from that day forward to devote the whole of his time to painting. Part of the time, from 1846 to 1848. he studied in the Academy of Frankfort-on-the- Maine. The winter of 1848-49 he passed in Brussels, painting his first finished picture, which repre- sented the story of Cimabue fin<Ung Giotto drawing in the fields. The succeeding year or so he spent in Paris, copying in the Louvre, and attending the life school. Hience he returned to Frankfort, where he became, and continued till the early