Tardebigge^ near Bromsgrove, Wor- cestershire. This living he held until 1855, when he was presented to the rectory of Honiton, Devon- shire, in the patronage of the Earl of Devon. In 1858 he was promoted by the late Bishop of Exeter (Drt Philpotts) to an honorary preben- dal stall in Exeter Cathedral ; and in 1868 he obtained the small vicar- age of Monkton, near Honiton. He was also for some time chaplain to Lord Lyttelton. In 1865 he was elected one of the Proctors in Con- vocation for the clergy of the diocese of Exeter j but on the re-election of that body in 1869 he failed to secure his seat, on account of his approval of Mr. Gladstone's measure for the disestablishment of the Irish Church. In Dec., 1869, he was appointed, on the recommendation of Mr. Gladstone, to the Bishopric of Oxford, vacant by the translation of Dr. Wilberforce to the see of Winchester.
MACKAY, Chablbs, LL.D., a member of the Highland family of which Lord Reay is chief, was born in Perth in 1814, and removed in infancy to London. Proceeding to Belgium to complete his education, he was a witness of the startling events of the revolution that broke out in 1830, and published, in 1834, a small volume of poems, which led to his introduction to the late Mr. John Black, editor of the Morning Ch/ronicle, through whose instru- mentality he became connected with that paper, and continued to be so for about nine years, during which time he published another volume, entitled " The Hope of the World," and other poems. He became editor of the Glasgow Argus in Sept. 1844, and retired from the management of that paper at the general elec- tion in 1847, in consequence of a schism in the Liberal party. In 1846 the Glasgow University con- ferred on him the title of LL.D. Dr. Mackay wrote for the Daily News a series of poems : " Voices from the Crowd," afterwards pub-
lished in a separate form. He has also written, The Salamandrine, or Love and Immortality," pub- lished in 1842; "Legends of the Isles, and other poems," in 1845; " Voices from the Mountains," in 1846; "Town Lyrics," in 1847; " Egeria," in 1850 ; " The Lump of Gold," in 1855; "Under Green Leaves," in 1857 ; "A Man's Heart," in I860; and "Studies from the Antique, and Sketches from Na- ture," in 1864. For some years he conlTibuted leading articles to the Illustrated London News, and he established the London Review in 1860. Dr. Mackay resided in New York from 1862 till 1865. As a prose writer, he is best known by his "Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions," published in 1841. A collection of his contribu- tions to AU the Year Bound, Bohin Goodfellow, and other periodicals, was published, with the title of " Under the Blue Sky," in 1871. He also published " Lost Beauties of the English Language: an Ap- peal to Authors, Poets, Clergymen, and Public -Speakers," 1874. He has been engaged for some tim^ past in writing a book on "The Gaelic Etymology of the English Language." As this prevented him from following literary work more immediately remunerative, his friends subscribed the sum of Je770, including JBIOO from the "Clan Mackay, and presented this sub- stantial testimonial to him at St. James's Hall, Dec. 27, 1877.
MC'KEE, Hbnbt Shbil, D.D., LL.D., son of the late Mr. H. Mc'Kee of Tamnadace, co. Derry, born May 29, 1813, was educated at the Bel- fast Academy, and the University of Glasgow, where he obtained what in England would be termed a treible first, but it was by the inti- mate familiarity which he acquired with the Greek and Latin classics that he achieved the greatest dis- tinction. He graduated M.A. in 1839 ; LL.D. and D.D. in 1858. He was appointed furst Minister of the
3 B 2