cal Works," 1866; "Spenser's Works," 1869; and "Selections from Chaucer's Canterbury Tales," 1867.
MORRIS, William, was bom near London in 1834. He is the eldest son of a merchant, who died in 1844, leaving a large estate. He was educated at Forest School, Walthamstow, at Marlborough, and at Exeter College, Oxford. He studied painting, but did not suc- ceed in that profession. In 1858 he published a small volume entitled " The Defence of Guenevere," and other Poems. In 1863, with several partners, he started in London an establishment for the artistic de- signing and manufacture of variotis articles, especially wall paper, stained glass, tiles, and household decorations. At this business Mr. Morris has ever since wrought as a designer, devoting his leisure to the composition of poetry. He published " The Life and Death of Jason," a narrative poem, in 1867, and "The Earthly Paradise" (4 parts), 3 vols., 1868-70. The latter poem is made up of twenty-four legendary and romantic tales in verse, recited by a company of travellers who had sailed westward from Norway to find the earthly X>aradise. He has also published a poem entitled " Love is Enough, or the Freeing of Pharamond: a Morality," 1873 . His later publica- tions are, " The -Uneids of Virgil, done into English verse," 1876, and " The Story of Sigurd the Volsung, and the Fall of the Niblungs," a poem, 1877. In collaboration with Mr. Eirikr Magnusson, he has translated the following works from the Icelandic : — " The Story of Grettir the Strong," 1869 ; " The Story of the Volsungs and the Niblungs," 1870 ; and " Three Northern Love Stories/^ 1875. His "Hopes and Fears for Art: Five Lectures, delivered in Birmingham, London, and Nottingham, 1878-81," appeared in 1882. MOULE, Tub Right Rev.
Geobob Evans, D.D., Bishop of Mid-China, son of the late Kev. Henry Moule, vicar of Fordington, Dorset, was bom at Gillingham vicarage in that county, Jan. 20, 1828, and received his education at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge (B.A. 1850; D.D., jure dignUaiU, 1880). He was curate of Fording- ton, Dorset, from 1851 to 1855; chaplain of the Dorset County Hospital from 1855 to 1857 ; mis- sionary. Church Missionary Society, from 1857 to 1880; and on leave, and curate of West Stafford from 1878 to 1880. In the latter year (Oct. 28) he was consecrated Bish<^ of Mid-China, in St. Paul's Cathe- dral, London. His lordship has published translations of the Book of Common Prayer, and the Gospel of St. John (1878) and St. Matthew (1879) in the Chinese language.
MOULTON, The Rev. Wn^ LiAM FiDDiAK, M.A. (Loud.), D.D. (Edin.), bom at Leek, Stafford- shire, March 14, 1835, was educated at Woodhouse Grove School, and graduated at the London Univer- sity in 1856, and gained the Gkdd Medal in Mathematics. He was Prizeman in the Scriptural Exam- inations, and Biblicial Criticism. Mr. Moulton having entered the Wesleyan ministry, was appointed Classical Tutor in the Wesleyan Theologfical College, Richmond, in 1858. After having laboured there for sixteen years, he was designated Head Master of the New Wesleyan School at Cambridge, in 1874. Pre- viously, in 1872, he had been elect^ a member of the Leg^ Hundred at the earliest election at which the laws of the Wesleyan connecti<»i admitted into that body. He re- ceived the honorary degree of D.D, from Edinburgh TJniverHity in 1874 ; and the hon. degree of M JL from the University of Cambridge, April 19, 1877. Mr. Moulton is a member of the New Testament Revision Company ; translator imd editor of Winer's "Grammar ol New Testament Greek;" and