He was elected an Associate of the Royal Academy Jan. 2, 1877, and a Eoyal Academician May 5, 1881. He obtained the medal of the second class at the Paris International Exhibition of 1878. Among the portraits painted and exhibited by Mr. Ooless, may be mentioned those of Lord Selbome, Mr. Charles Dar- win, F.R.S. ; the Bishop of London ; Admiral Sir Alexander Milne, G.C.B. ; Miss Ruth Bouverie, 1877; the late Mr. Russell Gumey, M.P., Recorder of London, 1877 ; Lieut. - Col. Tjoyd Lindsay, 1878 ; Mr. John Bright, M.P.; Sir Thomas Glad- stone ; the Rev. Dr. Ridding, head- master of Winchester College ; and Mr. Edmund Yates, 1879 j His Emi- nence Cardinal Newman and Mr. Justice Manisty, 1880; Mrs. But- terworth,1881; Gen. Sir F.Roberts, 1882 ; the late Bishop of Llandaff, and the Bishop of Norwich, 1883.
OUSELEY, Thb Rev. Sib Prk- DEBiCK Abthttb Gore, Bart., is the only son of the late Right Hon. Sir Gore Ouseley, F.R.S., of Hall Bam Park, Beaoonsfield, Bucking- hamshire, (a learned Orientalist who was sometime ambassador at the courts of Persia and Russia), by his marriage with Harriot Geor-
fina, daughter of John Whitelocke, Isq. He was born in Grosvenor Square, London, Aug. 12, 1825. From early childhood he evinced great talent for music, and it is said that at the age of eight he composed an opera, " L'Isola disa- bitata." He was educated pri- vately under Mr. Joyce, vicar of Dorking, and subsequently entered Christ Church, Oxford, as a gentle- man commoner (B.A., 1846 ; M.A., 1849). He had already succeeded to the baronetcy on the death of his father in 18-44. Having been ordained deacon in 1849, he was nominated to the curacy of St. Paul's, Knightsbridge, principaUy serving the sister church of St. Barnabas, Pimlioo, and living in the College attached to that church. He held the curacy till 1851, and
on the dispersion of the choir of St. Barnabas, he collected the scattered choristers, and estab- lished this little colony, with him- self at its head, at Lovehill House, near Langley Marish, Bucking- hamshire. Afterwards he erected, at his own cost and on his own property, the beautiful church of St. Michael and All Angels, at the Old Wood, near Tenbury. Sir Frederick was appointed its first vicar (1856), and, afterwards, the choristers having been removed from Langley, he became Warden of St. Michael's College, Tenbury. He was the principal founder of this establishment, the object of which is the education of boys in music, the classical languages, and general knowledge. A sufficient number of voices is thus provided for the performance of daily choral service in the church. Tlie cho- risters are the sons of gentlemen, with a special preference for the sons of the clergy. The eight seniors receive gratuitously an ex- cellent classical education, and the eight juniors, who pay a small amount annually, succeed to the benefits enjoyed by the seniors, as vacancies occur. A few other boys are admitted to the school on higher terms. In the Warden's house Sir Frederick Ouseley has formed a musical library, which is acknow- ledged to be the most valuable and extensive private collection in the kingdom. It contains nearly 2000 volumes, mostly rare full scores and treatises. In 1850 Sir Frede- rick took the degree of Bachelor of Music at Oxford, his "exercise" being a cantata, ** The Lord is the true God ; " and in 1854 he pro- (.•eeded to the higher grade of Doctor of Music, for which his ora- torio, " St. Polycarp " was com- posed and performed. He took priest's orders in 1855, and in the same year was appointed Precentor of Hereford Cathedral. At the close of that year he was nominated Professor of Music in the Uni- 3 I 2