EICHMOND AND GOEDON— BICORD.
gave rise to much subsequent dis- cussion. In it he gave a sketch of an imaginary *' model City of Health " to be called Hygeia. Dr. Bichardson's most recent researches have been directed to the study of the diseases incident to modern civilisation — diseases of modern life. The University of St. An- drews conferred on him the hono- rary degree of LL.D., Feb. 15, 1877.
RICHMOND AND GORDON (DuKB of). His Grace Chables Hbnby Gordon-Lennox, K.G., eldest son of the fifth Duke of Richmond, was born at Richmond House, Whitehall, Feb. 27, 1818, and educated at Westminster School and Christ Church, Oxford, where he graduated B.A. in 1839; became a captain in the army in 184-i;' was aide-de-camp to the Duke of Well- ington from 1842 till 1852, and to Viscount Hardinge from 1852 till 1854. In 1860 he succeeded his father as Duke of Richmond, to which dukedom was added in 1876 that of Gordon. His Grtfce was appointed President of the Poor Law Board, and sworn a Privy Councillor, in March, 1859, and re- sided in June, on the retirement of Lord Derby and his party; was made a Knight of the Garter, Feb. 6, and was President of the Board of Trade from March 8, 1867, till Dec, 1868. He repre- sented West Sussex in the Con- servative interest from July, 1841, till he succeeded his father as sixth Duke of Richmond, Oct. 21, 1860. His Grace was the acknowledged leader of the Conservative party in the House of Peers from Feb. 26, 1870, till Mr. Disraeli's elevation to the peerage as Viscount Beacons- field. When that party returned to office in Feb., 1874, he was made Lord President of the Council, and he retained that office until the de- feat of the Conservatives in April, 1880. He introduced the Bill by which Church Patronage was abol- ished in Scotland (1874), and also
the Agricultural Holdings Bill of 1875.
RICHMOND, George, R.A., son of an artist, born in 1809, was early introduced to the study of art, and in 1824 became a student at the Royal Academy, about which time he was introduced to William Blake, " sweet visionary Blake," as Hayley calls him, to whom he looked for direction and guidance in art till, in 1827, he followed him to the grave. In 1837 he left Eng- land for Italy, and spent two years in the study of the great works in Venice, Florence, and Rome. In 1840, he returned to the practice of water-colour portraits, which he had suspended for two years, ad- ding largely to it life-size studies in chalk, as a preparation for fu- ture practice in oil. In 1854 ho exhibited a whole-length portrait of Sir Robert Harry Inglis, painted for the Bodleian Gallery, at Oxford; and a half-length of the Bishop of New Zealand (Dr. Solwyn), for St. John's College, Cambridge; and from this time he has been almost exclusively employed in oil paint- ing. In 1860, he was employed to execute, for St. Paul's Cathedral, a monument of the late Bishop Blom- field, which he finished and erected in 1865. In 1847, he was appointed by Mr. Gladstone a member of the council of the Government Schools of Design; and in 1856, by Sir G. Comewall Lewis, one of the Royal Commissioners for determining the National GtQlery site, &c. In 1867, the University of Oxford conferred upon him the honorary degree of D.C.L. The portraits executed by him number between 3,000 and 4,000, hundreds of which have been engraved.
RICORD, Philippe, physician, member of the Academic de Mede- cine, grandson of a distinguished physician of Marseilles, and bro- ther of M. J. B. Ricord, the author of several works upon medicine and natural history, was born at Baltimore, U.S., Dec. 10, 1800; and 3 o