Page:Notes on the churches in the counties of Kent, Sussex, and Surrey.djvu/400

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.
334
NOTES TO SURREY.

explanation, as given above, of the term, "codunandi." "Sciendum est, quod Manerium potent esse per se, ex pluribus sedificiis coadunatum, sine villis et hamletis adjacentibus." It should be known, that a manor might exist by itself, compounded or worked up out of many edifices, without the adjoining villes and hamlets. (Bractonus, lib. 4. Tract. 1, c. 31, §3.) The only probable solution seems to be, that the Domesday surveyors of Surrey used "coduno" carelessly or ignorantly, instead of the proper compound verb "coaduno." For remarks on memorials in Kingston church to Rob. and Joan Skerne, 1437, see (Monum. Brasses, 91, 108.) In (Val. Eccl.) the chapels of Richmond or Shene, Thames Ditton, and East Molesey are annexed to Kingston. Contiguous to the south side of the chancel of the parish church of Kingston stood an ancient chapel, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, but no account of the foundation is preserved. Several Saxon kings are reported to have been crowned therein. On 2 March, 1730, in consequence of a grave having been dug too near, the pier and arch next the church gave way, and the building was totally ruined. (M. & B.) Views there given show masonry, which may have been Saxon, but the numerous small narrow windows appear to be pointed at the upper end. Edw. Lovekyn, citizen of London, and a native of Kingston, with consent of the Bp. of Winchester, 33 of K. Edward I, erected and endowed a chapel in Kingston, adjoining to Norbeton (the northeastern part of the town, toward London) dedicated to St. Mary Magdalen: (it is named in Val. Eccl.) The grant was confirmed by K. Edward II, 16 July, 1309. The chapel was suppressed 31 of K. Henry VIII, 1539-40, and the building is now the school. When the free chapel of St. Mary Magdalen, that is, Lovekyn's, was devised to Rich. Taverner Esq., 1 of K. Edward VI, the letters patent, 26 April, 1547, named besides " a small chapel called St. Anne's, adjoining the former, with a chamber and study over it," and "a small chapel called St. Loye's on the east side of St. Mary Magdalen's." (M. & B.) Two hospitals in Kingston are mentioned by Tanner; namely, that of the bridge, which is named in the beginning of K. Henry Ill's reign; and Lovekyn's. (Monast. VI, 776.)

61. Lambeth.—The church of St. Mary, "Lamhytha," is mentioned in a deed by K. William, probably William Rufus. (Text. Roff. 213.) According to Bp. Tanner Archb. Baldwin, when compelled to abandon his projected college at Hackington,