(in Kent; see the Note) commenced another at Lambeth, which likewise the pope caused to be relinquished and destroyed. (Monast. VI, 1469.) The archbishop was unfortunate in his undertakings.
62. Leatherhed.—In K. Alfred's will we find the "custos de Leodre, keeper of Leodre," (Asser's Alfred by Wise, 77,) among the legatees. The nature of his office I do not comprehend, but, from the amount of his bequest, he must have been a person of Consideration, as he obtained lands certainly in the counties of Wilts, Hants, Surrey, and Kent. One of them is "Leodria" (not Leodrede, as stated in M. & B's Hist, of Surrey) which apparently can only signify Leatherhed, especially since the name given in (A. D. 1291) is Leddrede. Compare the Note on Epsom.
63. Leigh.—Brasses: Susanna Arderne; man and woman with nine children, Ardernes. (M. & B.)
64. Limpsfield—Church consists of chancel, another on the northern side, tower with short shingled spire at the west end of the south side of the chancel, and nave with south aisle and south porch. In the high chancel are a piscina, and a high plain sedile; in the south wall of the same two lancet windows were closed when a late Perp. vestry was erected on the outside. The tower, in several stages, seems to be Norm., having windows of that character: the remainder of the church may be E.E. The north chancel contains an E.E. window, the others are Perp. and later. A north door is disused. From marks on the exterior the church appears to have been larger formerly. The font is E.E., square, on a stem with four shafts at the angles. There is a lych-gate at the entrance of the churchyard.—" Here are two stone quarries of two shillings, and three aeries of hawks in a wood. Duæ fossæ lapidum de duobus solidis, et tres nidi accipitrum in silva." (D. B.)
65. Lingfield.—This church comprises chancel, nave, north aisle and chancel ranging with the principal, tower on the south side of the nave nearly in the centre, south aisle extending eastward from the tower with a chancel, but short of the central one, the difference being completed by a vestry below the level of the church. From the tower westward, including the west end of the nave, appear, internally, portions of the wall of an earlier building, to which the lower part of the tower seems to belong, though the interior of it was cased, and the whole probably carried higher, when the present church was erected by