Page:Notes on the churches in the counties of Kent, Sussex, and Surrey.djvu/53

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search
This page has been validated.
23
NOTES TO KENT.

from Little Home, in Kenardington. The chapel is 24 feet long by 12 in breadth." (Hist, of Kent, III, 119, 120, fol., 1790.) See the quotation from the Saxon Chronicle in the Note on Limpne.

10. Ash, near Sandwich.—This was a chapel-of-ease to Wingham till 1282, when it was made a separate parish. It has a cross church, with a central tower and tall spire. Effigies: cross-legged, Leverick, and Goshall (wife below); man and woman, Harflete, alias Septvans. On a flat stone, Jane Keriell. Brasses: Septvans, alias Harflete, 1602; do. and wife, 1612; Harflete and wife, 1612. In this parish were chapels, at Fleet, Overland, and Richborough. (Hasted.) The last is named in (Val. Eccl.) as "Russheborough." The land called " Fletes" is valued (D. B.) under Wingham. (A.D. 1291), "Capella de Esse cum capellis (note), aliis, cidem annexis:" referring, doubtless, to some or all of those above mentioned.

The castle of Richborough, well known as a ruined specimen of Roman construction, stands within this parish.

11. Ash, near Wrotham.—Brass: Richard Galon, rector, 1465. (Reg. Roff.)

12. Ashford.—(D. B.) mentions "a priest" here, as well as the church. Brass: Elizabeth, wife of David de Strabolgie, Earl of Athol, deceased, 1375. (Somner, quoted by Harris in his History of Kent.)

A college was founded here by Sir (John, according to Dugdale—or Robert, Kilburne) Fogge, knight of the shire, &c., temp. Edward IV. (Lambarde's Perambulation of Kent.) The college is not noticed after A.D. 1503. (Dugdale's Monasticon, VI, 1454. Lond., 1830.)

13. Ashurst.—This small church consists of chancel, nave, south porch, and a wooden bell-turret over the west end. Of the chancel, the east and north windows are Dec., the southern Perp. On each side of the nave is a single-light ogée-headed Dec. window ; but they are insertions. Instead of a chancel arch, there is a tie-beam, with a king-post. This, like the sandstone churches generally, so far as I have examined them, seems to have been greatly altered externally by repairs. The north wall is the oldest, being of coarse irregular masonry. The east window retains a very few fragments of coloured glass. The porch is of stone, dated 1621. Before it is an ancient graveslab, forming a step, much worn, but having no traces of a cross. The interior of the church was not seen. In or near the valley of