POWERS OF CONTROLLER GENERALLY
77. Controller to have certain powers of civil court
(1) Subject to any rules made in this behalf, the Controller in any proceedings before him under this Act shall have the powers of a civil court while trying to suit under the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908, in respect of the following matters, namely:–
- a. summoning and enforcing the attendance of any person and examining him on oath;
- b. requiring the discovery and production of any document;
- c. receiving evidence on affidavits;
- d. issuing commissions for the examination of witnesses or documents;
- e. awarding costs;
- f. reviewing his own decision on application made within the prescribed time and in the prescribed manner;
- g. setting aside an order passed ex-parte on application made within the prescribed time and in the prescribed manner;
- h. any other matter which may be prescribed.
(2) Any order for costs awarded by the Controller in exercise of the powers conferred upon him under sub-section (1) shall be executable as a decree of a civil court.
78. Power of Controller to correct clerical errors etc
(1) Without prejudice to the provisions contained in sections 57 and 59 as regards amendment of applications for patents or complete specifications and subject to the provisions of section 44, the Controller may, in accordance with the provisions of this section, correct any clerical error in any patent or in any specification or other document filed in pursuance of such application or in any application for a patent or any clerical error in any matter which is entered in the register.
(2) A correction may be made in pursuance of this section either upon a request in writing made by any person interested and accompanied by the prescribed fee, or without such a request.
(3) Where the Controller proposes to make any such correction as aforesaid otherwise than in pursuance of a request made under this section, he shall give notice of the proposal to the patentee or the applicant for the patent, as the case may be, and to any other person who appears to him to be concerned, and shall give them an opportunity to be heard before making the correction.
(4) Where a request is made under this section for the correction of any error in a patent or application for a patent or any document filed in pursuance of such an application, and it appears to the Controller that the correction would materially alter the meaning or scope of the document to which the request relates and ought not to be made without notice to persons affected thereby, he shall require notice of the nature of the proposed correction to be advertised in the prescribed manner.
(5) Within the prescribed time after any such advertisement as aforesaid any person interested may give notice to the Controller of opposition to the request, and, where such notice of opposition is given, the Controller shall give notice thereof to the person by whom