73. Controller and other officers.
(1) The Controller General of Patents, Designs and Trade Marks appointed under subsection (1) of section 4 of the Trade and Merchandise Marks Act, 1958, shall be the Controller of Patents for the purposes of this Act.
(2) For the purposes of this Act, the Central Government may appoint as many Examiners and other officers and with such designations as it thinks fit.
(3) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the officers appointed under sub-section (2) shall discharge under the superintendence and directions of the Controller such functions of the Controller under this Act as he may, from time to time by general or special order in writing, authorise them to discharge.
(4) Without prejudice to the generality of the provisions of sub-section (3), the Controller may, by order in writing and for reasons to be recorded therein withdraw any matter pending before an officer appointed under sub-section (2) and deal with such matter himself either de novo or from the stage it was so withdrawn or transfer the same to another officer appointed under sub-section (2) who may, subject to special directions in the order of transfer, proceed with the matter either de novo or from the stage it was so transferred.
74. Patent office and its branches
(1) For the purposes of this Act, there shall be an office which shall be known as the patent office.
(2) The patent office provided by the Central Government under the Indian Patents and Designs Act, 1911, shall be the patent office under this Act.
(3) The head office of the patent office shall be at such place as the Central Government may specify, and for the purpose of facilitating the registration of patents there may be established, at such other places as the Central Government may think fit, branch offices of the patent office.
(4) There shall be a seal of the patent office.
75. Restriction on employees of patent office as to right or interest in patents.
All officers and employees of the patent office shall be incapable, during the period for which they hold their appointments, to acquire or take, directly or indirectly, except by inheritance or bequest, any right or interest in any patent issued by that office.
76. Officers and employees not to furnish information, etc.
An officer or employee in the patent office shall not, except when required or authorised by this Act or under a direction in writing of the Central Government or the Controller or by order of a court, –
- a. furnish information on a matter which is being, or has been, dealt with under this Act or under the Indian Patents and Designs Act, 1911; or
- b. prepare or assist in the preparation of a document required or permitted by or under this Act or under the Indian Patents and Designs Act, 1911, to be lodged in the patent office; or
- c. conduct a search in the records of the patent office.